Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sway-a-way 12.5" shock info...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WMX124
This seems too good to be true.....

Also, why sell them on ebay? Does this guy buy the chrome version and then powder the spring and re-sell them or is he actually working for sway-a-way?

Squidhead's endorsement is the only reason I am even considering these as an option.

Squidhead - What made you swap out the Ohlins and go with these?
There are others selling them on ebay, but only with chrome springs. The guy I got them from is RC Saunders. You can look him up on facebook. I'm not sure of his affiliation with Sway-Away, but he seems tied in to them. You can buy the same shocks direct from Sway Away for like $50 more, which is still incredibly reasonable considering their performance, but you won't get black springs with them.

I bought the Ohlins HD909s used from another forum member who took them off a bike he traded in. The price was right, but they were a little longer than I wanted. I figured I could adjust to half an inch. Turns out that half inch was huge and I just couldn't get comfortable. Since changing pipes, scraping isn't a concern for me anyway, so I went hunting for something to replace the Ohlins knowing that I could re-sell them and recoup most of what I paid.

I'm not sure why Sway Away isn't charging more for these. It could be lack of demand since they come with limited options and they aren't exactly known for being Harley-specific. Their focus is in the off-road community. I can say pretty confidently after yet another awesome commute this morning, that this is one of those rare times where you get a little more than you pay for.

I wish there was a way to "tag" users on the forum here so I could get DYNARYDER87 to comment. He's the only member I'm aware of that's had these long term and could give us all a review of how they hold up over time.

BTW, I get nothing out of this review other than sharing something good with other Dyna riders...not affiliated with any of those selling them, and may even be pissing a few people off for letting out what could be a well-kept secret.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine have the 175lb spring as well. I weigh about 180. I did have to adjust the preload a bit tighter for proper sag, but there is still about 2/3rd's of the adjustment still left from where I currently have them. I was a bit concerned about buying these as the price seemed really low compared to other quality shocks. Once I received the shock, all of those concerns went away. These are very nice, American made, quality shocks. I should be able to get some additional ride time this weekend.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Alright, I'm sold.

Thanks for the all the info.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't be disappointed!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
RC-SBMC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has further questions feel free to email me at rsaunders1206@gmail.com
Thanks,
RC

Old 01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RC-SBMC
If anyone has further questions feel free to email me at rsaunders1206@gmail.com
Thanks,
RC
Alright, you found us! Welcome to HDForums, RC.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Squid, I'm eyeballing a set for my FXR, but, possibly a set for my Dyna as well.

Have had real good luck with Sway-A-Way.

Since my FXR is lighter than a Dyna, even though I would get the 200lb springs for the Dyna, should I get the 175s for the FXR?

Chase

Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chasespeed
Squid, I'm eyeballing a set for my FXR, but, possibly a set for my Dyna as well.

Have had real good luck with Sway-A-Way.

Since my FXR is lighter than a Dyna, even though I would get the 200lb springs for the Dyna, should I get the 175s for the FXR?

Chase
Email RC and ask him...I'm a happy customer, but totally unqualified to advise you on that one.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it was more of an open question, I should've been clear on that.

But, I'm eyeballing these because of you. They sound well built, and anything that can be tuned And rebuilt, is a big plus.

I'll email him when I'm ready to lay out cash.

Chase

Last edited by Chasespeed; 01-10-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
99%r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at progressive 430's, but thinking about these sway always.

Anyone know how the two would compare? I am just after a smoother ride then the stock shocks.

Quick Reply: sway-a-way 12.5" shock info...