Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Friggin Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 PM
phinfan1972
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Friggin Happy!

A couple weeks ago I took my Carb apart on my 2004 WG. Pretty much stock with the exception of V&H Big shots pipes. After a thorough cleaning and re-assembly she ran almost perfect. I tweaked and messed with it and finally gave up. I took it to the Harley shop and asked them to fine tune the carb. They knew what kit I put in it and told me I could pick it up today. I called them this morning to see if she was ready and what the charges were. I asked what they did to it and was connected to the mechanic. He said he pulled the carb apart and replaced the stock 45 low jet(because of the pipes) with a 46 and adjusted the screw to 2.5 turns out.
When I picked it up I was in kind of a hurry, was running late and just wanted to get it home so I could get the rest of the crap done I needed to do. It seemed to run ok down the road, but I only had to go about 3 miles.
When I got home tonight I went out and jumped on it to go for a ride.

It wouldn't start.

It backfired through the carb and the exhaust. I practically ran the battery dead before she finally started. When I took it in, it had no problem starting. Just crack the throttle and hit the button. Now, nothin.
I am planning on calling them in the morning.
Would a bigger jet really cause this? Or am I looking at a whole different problem entirely?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im no expert but most carbs are about 1and half turns out, I think the main jet was changed UP, BUT that wont come in too over 2000rpm, my guess its too rich on the primary circuit, which would cause the bike too flood easy when cold

Old 09-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Air cleaner still stock?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Well it's not your jets... They sound about right, the larger pilot will ease decell popping as it's richer and 2.5 turns out is spot on.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 AM
matto371
Cruiser

Have you pulled the spark plugs to check them? You might have to get it started and run it couple times to see what is going on. They can tell you what is going on whether it be to rich or lean. What happened when it started? Was there any black smoke from the exhaust. Also the could of not put a vacuum line on all the way. That would cause similar issues. Or the intake and carb gasket could be pinched and leaking

Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Seems like a different problem, but related. Carb's been apart twice now in short time, but wonder if some little piece of shrapnel's gunked inside somewhere. Dealer made the last correction so it's on them to correct. Get it there, explain the issue and let them troubleshoot...probably something small...good luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the vacuum line at carb an petcock is connected.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 AM
OCD-in-ATL
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was the engine cold or warm when you tried to start it again? If cold, I'm wondering if your choke/enrichment linkage wasn't hooked up or adjusted properly when the dealer reinstalled the carb.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM
phinfan1972
Novice

When it started there was no black smoke but it smelled really rich. And it wouldn't idle without giving it throttle until I pulled the choke. Then it idled like crap.
I didn't have very much decel pop. It very rarely did it. Like if say I was coming down from 70+ to a stop in a short distance and downshifting real hard, then it would pop.

Last edited by phinfan1972; 09-28-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phinfan1972
When it started there was no black smoke but it smelled really rich. And it wouldn't idle without giving it throttle until I pulled the choke. Then it idled like crap.
I didn't have very much decel pop. It very rarely did it. Like if say I was coming down from 70+ and dropping to 40 in a short distance and downshifting real hard, then it would pop.
yep you carby is ****ed maybe time for a new one

Quick Reply: Not Friggin Happy!