Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons of raising the rear suspension on a FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
BuffCat
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/Cons of raising the rear suspension on a FXDC

Looking at upgrading the rear shocks on a 2013 FXDC. I have had 12-1/2 inch recommended to me (1/2 inch over stock) to improve shock performance.

My assumption is that Pre-Load can be used to modify the height, though that is not what pre-load is really meant for. How much height adjustment can one get from changing the pre-load? Will I have to soften it up to much to get the SAG down to stock height.

I have a 29 inch inseam, not sure what the 1/2 inch will do to my ability to flat foot.

Any pros/cons with a 12-1/2 inch shock setup would be appreciated.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the 12 1/2" ricors and didn't notice any difference in height. Put the 13" ricors on a freinds bike and you could tell it was higher.

12 1/2 inch is a good recomendation. I was told by ricor that the bike would sit at the stock height. Guess it kinda depends on the actual shock.

Preload doesn't change the height on my bike/shock at all

Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 PM
BuffCat
Stage II

Good info Rooti - Ricor's are on the top of my list for the upgrade. What tune did you go with?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
ridercoachrich
1st Gear

Just picked up a new 2013 FXDCAE 110th anniversary model with low-profile suspension. Twice I've touched down the lower muffler bracket on hard right-hand corners.

I'm going to be installing S.E. slip-on mufflers, but don't know if these will sit higher than the stock mufflers.

I have a set of 12 1/2" shocks that I took off of my '95 Wide Glide when new, but the dealer tells me that they won't work on the 2013.

Can internal parts be removed from the low profile suspension and be replaced with H-D parts for a non-low profile suspension?

I'm anxious to hear how others have cured the bottoming out problem.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:16 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

A 12.5 inch shock will make the fender sit a little higher off the tire (compared to the stock 12" shock) when the bike is resting on its kickstand. Once you sit on the bike, it will sink (sag) more than your stock shock did and the seat will be about the same distance to the ground as before.

I have Ricor 12.5" shocks. I have adjusted the spring tension (preload) to get about 3/4" sag, and my butt ends up the same distance from terra firma.

By the way, the bike will lean over a little farther to the left on the kickstand.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:17 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the 12 1/2" sport tune. They are great solo and great 2up. I turn the adjustment 2 rounds for 2up if we are going to ride all day. If we are going for a short ride I don't adjust it and have never bottomed out. I have flown over railroad track at over 70 and even though you still feel the bumb, there is no more jolts like there was with the stock shocks.

If you do the intimidators do the 5wt Amzoil shock therapy fork oil, not the 10w that ricor recomends on their site. (maybe they've changed it by now, been awhile)

Added the ricor intimidators and walla, great ride, great handling.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ridercoachrich
Just picked up a new 2013 FXDCAE 110th anniversary model with low-profile suspension. Twice I've touched down the lower muffler bracket on hard right-hand corners.

I'm going to be installing S.E. slip-on mufflers, but don't know if these will sit higher than the stock mufflers.

I have a set of 12 1/2" shocks that I took off of my '95 Wide Glide when new, but the dealer tells me that they won't work on the 2013.

Can internal parts be removed from the low profile suspension and be replaced with H-D parts for a non-low profile suspension?

I'm anxious to hear how others have cured the bottoming out problem.
you should try and put on your longer shocks, i bet it works.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffCat
Looking at upgrading the rear shocks on a 2013 FXDC. I have had 12-1/2 inch recommended to me (1/2 inch over stock) to improve shock performance.

My assumption is that Pre-Load can be used to modify the height, though that is not what pre-load is really meant for. How much height adjustment can one get from changing the pre-load? Will I have to soften it up to much to get the SAG down to stock height.

I have a 29 inch inseam, not sure what the 1/2 inch will do to my ability to flat foot.

Any pros/cons with a 12-1/2 inch shock setup would be appreciated.
might as well get 13s, if i remember correctly a 1 inch longer shock wont raise the bike 1 inch due to the angle of the shock. had 12.5in 970s bike looked like stock height still. now have 13in jri from howard and the bike is a bit higher than stock.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Actually I went back and looked at my set-up measurements and after adjusting for ride/handling I ended up with 1+5/16" sag measured vertically from axle to fender. Seat height while riding ended up about the same or perhaps slightly lower than the original height.
If you go with a shorter shock (12") you are going to lose shock travel and the shock will not absorb the bumps as well.