Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire reviews, opinions and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire reviews, opinions and stuff

Sorry to start another tire thread but after doing some thread reading they seem to get off track and I still haven't seemed to find out what I need... I've been through the stock michellins, the SE dunlop tire, and now pirelli ND's. And so far, none have been that impressive. Stock was, stock. Rode well, lasted about 8-9k if I remember right and was slippery when wet. The SE's I remember really liking, good traction and appearance but, that only lasted me about 6k. And I never rode them wet. Now I'm on the ND's and they do alright in the dry category but I really need to watch what I'm doing when its wet, dusty or curvy. I have that back end kick out on me a lot. Worse than stock. But they seem to be wearing very well and ride smooth, I've had em for about 3k or so and they still look nearly new.
My questions are, what tires should I go with next? I dont mind replacing tires sooner if it means a smooth well performing ride (I ride fairly hard compared to most) Next, what tire pressures are you running? My rear is at 40 with the ND's and I've seen people run em down at 35 up to 45 psi. (I'm gonna try 38 or so) I'm usually riding solo.
I havent tried Avon yet, and have heard decent things about them. Also, if anyone has gone from these tires to the michellin 2's, I'd be interested in that. Never been a fan of metz, had two tires fail on me with another bike.
Any input and opinions on the subject would be awesome. Hopefully this will be a good thread a lot of us can take wisdom from

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 PM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're already 2-3 brands ahead of me but I'm surprised the ND's don't do it for you. I went straight to them from the stock Dunlops and they transformed the ride completely for me. I run mine the same 38/40.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Me too, I have heard a lot of good things about the ND's. Maybe those that have them can give me some pressures they are running at. Maybe mine is too high?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I went from the stock Dunlops to Avons. A huge improvement in all areas. I'm on my second rear, which is an Ultra Storm II. I haven't ridden it a lot in the rain, but it gripped very well. Although in the rain my riding style gets way more conservative.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
ryda
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunlop Roadsmart II, right at 3000 miles. Dual compound tire, in the sport touring line. The only draw back is they don't have a 19" front.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ryda
Dunlop Roadsmart II, right at 3000 miles. Dual compound tire, in the sport touring line. The only draw back is they don't have a 19" front.

Well, I have a 21x3.5 front, which might limit some of my options as well...

Old 10-12-2013, 02:25 PM
transam7969
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** I went from the stock dunflops to the pirellis and it was a night and day difference. I ride my bike pretty hard usually and they haven't failed me yet, much better grip on wet and dry surfaces than the stock tires but I also went to a 200 rear and 90 front over the stock 180 and 80. I've been very pleased with them. Run about 38-40 psi and it seems to do well for me but I'm also 6'4" ~260 and do ride 2-up often

Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Run them at 32 front and 37 rear...you say you ride harder than most...have you considered that you may not have tyre issues but are exceeding the abilities of the bike?

You have also fitted a drop kit, these look cool but don't help the handling at all.

When ridden like a crotch rocket most Harley's (with the possible exception of FXR's) will try to spit you off because they are just not built for it... imagine using a Hippo for Horse Racing and you get my drift.

If you are after a really sticky tyre then Avon are good but with the 21 front I would go with Pirelli Night Dragons....no tyre that will perform well under duress is gonna last, its simply a matter of physics and chemistry.

I don't ride hard, Pirelli Route MT66 work just fine on my Lowrider.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Run them at 32 front and 37 rear...you say you ride harder than most...have you considered that you may not have tyre issues but are exceeding the abilities of the bike?
I get ya there, and I'll try out those pressures out and see. Usually when my rear is slipping out, its just making a quick left turn at a orange light, stuff like that. I think all my slippage has probably occurred at low speeds, not sure if the drop kit is entirely responsible for that. Getting low in the corners tho, yes.
For what its worth, I feel like my front end ND is a lot more stable that before, but that could just be me loving the new 21'' as well.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by transam7969
**** I went from the stock dunflops to the pirellis and it was a night and day difference. I ride my bike pretty hard usually and they haven't failed me yet, much better grip on wet and dry surfaces than the stock tires but I also went to a 200 rear and 90 front over the stock 180 and 80. I've been very pleased with them. Run about 38-40 psi and it seems to do well for me but I'm also 6'4" ~260 and do ride 2-up often
Hi,

Run 42psi in back ND 180 on the wide glide, still have an avon am41 venom 90/90-21 on front, got about 20000kms front and still good for another 5000kms, front tire in shed to go

How the 200 fit in? as the 180 ND is only about 170 once actually fitted, i liked the fit and appearance of the dunlop gt502 but we get bent over here as have to get from dealer at about $399 a pop hehehehehehehehe

Thanks
Mirrmu

Last edited by mirrmu; 10-12-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire reviews, opinions and stuff