Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relocating front turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:44 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default relocating front turn signals

I have a HD front turn signal kit and need somebody to translate the instructions. I'm not understanding what to cut, what to pull through the frame, ect. ect.
It's a 2011 superglide with the wires outside the bars. I've got some t-bars on order and am doing the internal wires and would like to get the turn sognals done before the bars get here.

Seems like HD made something relatively simple..hard.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Dino, that reloc was a bit of a pain for me too. I have the internal CAN wiring and just cut the signal wire off just below the 2 housings on the bars and then tucked the ends of the wires away in the housings. Then the kit had me rewire the turn signals with new wires that connected to unused connectors located in that tunnel below the fuel tank. Not sure if Fat Bob stuff helps?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Actually I bypassed some of the steps in the directions and got the turn signals out no problem without cutting or taking the connectors apart. I do have to take the connectors apart to feed them through the new relocated mounts. I had no luck getting the wires out of the connector so I cut the wires and am going to use the connectors that came with the kit. I don't have the crimping tool and my first attempt with the needlenose didn't work out well. Going to the dealership to see if I can pick up some extra connectors and pins and try again tommorow.

If HD just slittled the side of the relocated mounts it would have been a piece of cake.
I'm usually good with directions but these are very poorly written.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, I did the needlenose plyers vs crimpers too, took awhile but it worked - you do get better with practice! Those instructions were bad for me too, I swear whoever writes them should have to watch some novice try to follow them! I think sometimes the people that write the instructions never did the mod!

There have been some posts on affordable crimping tools to be found on Amazon, I have a pic of one that somebody had success with and will post if you want to see it.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 10-13-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't have the patience to wait...want to finish up sunday...bars will be here friday

Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I don't have the patience to wait...want to finish up sunday...bars will be here friday
Which bars did you decide on?

If it wasn't the Santees with the pre-threaded wire, you can use some pull chains (like the kind for ceiling fans) clipped together for length. Use gravity to feed them through the bars, tie your wires to the end, then pull them through.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I bought some "bikers choice" 8" curved t-bars. They are triple chromed ad have the strings already in to pull the wires through. They were 96 bucks with free delivery and are returnable and brand new. The are coming from 50 miles away so I should have them by Friday at the latest.

Just couldn't spend more then 100 bucks for now. I did order the polyurethene bushings and the signals are relocated and up and running.

I'll mock them up when I get them and decide then if I mount them or ship them back. I'm thinking the 8" pullback will be good for me...Did you realize that the superglide stock bars have 11" of pullback?

For the superglide owners (2011) Here are the stock bars for reference:
Height: 6 1/2"
Width: 30 1/2"
Pullback: 11"