Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble down shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trouble down shifting

A couple of weeks ago my indy shop installed forward controls on my 2005 low rider. The controls are new OE take-offs that fit my year dyna.

Yesterday, I had trouble getting the bike to shift in to 1st and, on a couple of occasions, 2nd as well. I would depress the shift pedal and it would move but no clicking sound and no lower gear achieved. I think that when it moved, it felt as though it did not move as much/far as normal.

I'm not experiencing any other problms with the bike.

Once questions I have is, how much free play should there be in the new, longer, shift linkage bar? With the bike parked and the engine off, I can move the long linkage bar backwards and forwards. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the parts to know whether this is normal.

To be quite honest, the shifting issue may not be at all related to the new forward controls but I thought it might be.

Any suggestions? Anything I can check on my own?

Thank you.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your shift peddle is too high. Adjust it down till the end of the peddle sits right in the side of your big toe when not in use!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM
jmb79
Road Master

Id. Fat Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion and excuse my ignorance but can you explain to me how that adjustment helps the problem I am experiencing? I don't doubt you, I'm just trying to understand. Does lowering the shifter angle bring the linkage forward thus causing it to be tighter?

Also, it's been shifting fine for a week of daily city riding (i.e., using first a lot).

Again, I'm just trying to learn more about the bike, not doubting you.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 AM
jmb79
Road Master

So, moving the shift lever does nothing. As I suspected, moving the shift lever merely adjusts foot-lever ergonomics. The issue is not related to me not being able to apply enough pressure to the shift peg.

If anyone else has a suggestion/solution I would greatly appreciate reading it.

Thank you.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but if your clutch isn't adjusted properly you could experience hard down shifting.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM
jmb79
Road Master

stilup,

Ok. Thanks. By "hard downshifting" do you mean that it doesn't go in to gear in with the usual amount of force (what I am experiencing) or that it goes into gear but does so "hard" (i.e., with a heavy clunk)? I'm not experiencing the second description.

Either way, I'll do some research on that adjustment and see what I can figure out.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
AwesomeIndeed
Cruiser

My '13 Fat Bob does this as well. I have adjusted the lever and the clutch cable to no end and it has not helped. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it I have to use the lever several times for it to downshift properly.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

If the shift ratchet doesn't catch the next lower gear because the peddle doesn't raise high enough to catch it, then it can't catch the next lower gear! Try this. When you go to shift down next time...make sure your foot is clear off the peddle then shift down! If it catches the next gear reliably every time then adjusting the leaver down will work for you!
Like I said before, the correct adjustment height for the shifter arm is when the end of the peddle touches the side of your big toe with your foot setting naturally on the foot peg! This assumes that you don't ride with your heel on the foot peg!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this sounds stupid, but the above comment sounds about right. While trying to get used to the new controls, you may not be taking your foot completely off of the shifter when down shifting, which will cause what you describe.
If not, sounds like you need a clutch adjustment.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you taken it back to the indy shop that you gave money to do the change over.
It sound like the linkage just needs to be adjusted but why mess with it when you already payed someone to do it?

Quick Reply: Trouble down shifting