Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
ExDucRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Removal

I'll be removing my front wheel on my 2013 Fat Bob.
This will be my first time of doing it on this bike.
I done many Japanese and Italian bikes in the past.
Just wanted to make that there are no surprises I am going to encounter.
So any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I anything I should be aware of lifting the bike?
This will be my first time as well. I do have the yellow Craftsman Jack.

Btw, I was told by a service writer that I do not need to remove those front brake calipers. How is that possible? Hmmmm...

Anyone here done this before?

TIA

Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a Fatbob and am not trying to be an ***, but do you have a service manual? The best investment you can buy for your bike! If for none other than the torque specs.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The wheel will slide out of the forks and calipers. This is a pretty straightforward operation. I have never had to remove the caliper to take off the front wheel. Have a shop manual handy for torque specs.
Use a tie down strap to keep the bike from doing a backflip off the jack when you remove the wheel. Usually won't happen if your balance point is ok, but better safe than sorry.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM
ExDucRider
Tourer

This is funny my local dealer just called me and said that my Service Manual just arrive. They said it was going to be in by Friday. I'm good.

Thank you!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We weren't trying to be difficult. We will be glad to help you, but the manual is an awesome tool.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM
ExDucRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Robbie13
We weren't trying to be difficult. We will be glad to help you, but the manual is an awesome tool.
I know and that's why I did put an order. I was just anxious to install my new rotors on my wheels. I don't really need a service manual for this job, especially I already got all the torque specs from this forum the other day. I just wanted to make sure that removing the front wheel on the Harley is the same concept on all the bikes that I had in the past. It's all good.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by ExDucRider
I know and that's why I did put an order. I was just anxious to install my new rotors on my wheels. I don't really need a service manual for this job, especially I already got all the torque specs from this forum the other day. I just wanted to make sure that removing the front wheel on the Harley is the same concept on all the bikes that I had in the past. It's all good.

Thanks!!!

Don't squeeze the front brake lever while you have your wheel off.

Someone said to strap your bike down so it wont tilt. I put a wood block under my rear tire to keep it from tipping backwards. While putting new tree's on my last Harley I had my bike tip. It was strapped down, but the jack tipped with it. Never fell over but got my attention.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

"Btw, I was told by a service writer that I do not need to remove those calipers. How is that possible? Hmmmm..."

The 'chunky' wheel and tire on the FB won't slide out with the calipers in place - you have to remove at least one caliper and hang it out of the way before you can remove the wheel/tire.
~

Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

H,

Yeah can take caliper off for ease of the process, probably good idea if you puttong on new rotors
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
justintyme73
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay attention to those torque specs putting it back together, and that your torque wrench is correct. those Pinch bolts for the axle arent that tough, ask me how I know!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Removal