Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby cover slot for a gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:44 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Derby cover slot for a gasket

2011 FXDC SuperGlideCustom

I wanted to buy this derby cover below from HD, but am not sure if it has the slot where the ebay link gasket goes. The photo is only a front shot from the HD website.
Do all the derby covers have this slot...regardless of dealer or make?

Searching found many posts about derby covers and gaskets but I need just a little more info on the slot before I pull the trigger if someone has a similar cover from HD.
Thank you

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-04-2533606--1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DERBY-COVER-...505094&vxp=mtr

Old 10-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all derby covers have the slot for that seal. Some use a flat gasket. I changed the derby cover on my 103 and the new cover used the flat gasket. Part number I think is 25416-99c. Click on the more info tab on the derby cover you linked to and you can open the install instructions that tell you the gasket number. Should work fine for you. Dealer will hook you up with the correct gasket.

Last edited by Pagan48; 10-19-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Default You mean this?

Originally Posted by Pagan48
Not all derby covers have the slot for that seal. Some use a flat gasket. I changed the derby cover on my 103 and the new cover used the flat gasket.
This one?..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-twin-...d16440&vxp=mtr

I am deep in Baja California Sur Mexico and cannot just stroll over to the local HD dealer for the correct gasket.
That would be great but it's not happening....so I am left with trying to find the right gasket online.
Their cheap enough....I suppose I could just order both and go with the one that fits.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcortez
This one?..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-twin-...d16440&vxp=mtr

I am deep in Baja California Sur Mexico and cannot just stroll over to the local HD dealer for the correct gasket.
That would be great but it's not happening....so I am left with trying to find the right gasket online.
Their cheap enough....I suppose I could just order both and go with the one that fits.
That looks like the one I got from my dealer. But, if you can access eBay from your remote location, you should be able to access HD's fitment info online, too.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
marcortez
Tourer

Originally Posted by Silvio
That looks like the one I got from my dealer. But, if you can access eBay from your remote location, you should be able to access HD's fitment info online, too.
I can access the HD fitment and it says use a Cover Gasket 25416-99C.
But when I put that in the "search" feature....nothing comes up.

I have entered every search term know to man about the very same gasket that is in my FXDC right now and it's OEM.
It's orange in color....the same as that one Ebay item.

Now I just need to figure out if the derby cover I want has the groove in the back side that allows the orange seal to fit in.

I suppose a call to an HD dealer would be in order and ask if they have one in stock that is similar, and to actually take a look at the back side and make the call.......groove or no groove.

Thanks for you help..I appreciate it.

Last edited by marcortez; 10-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the cover will fit, but you don't need that gasket. They "HD" will sell you a flat gasket. I bought one like that but when I found out first off it is just about 1/4" smaller diameter wise leaving a 1/8" gap all around plusyou need a flat gasket which needs changing each time you open the cove I returned it. No way no how !

Old 10-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just changed my chrome derby cover for a stock black one. My chrome one had the "O" ring type gasket, and Harley gave me 25416-99C. I decided to use the "o" ring gasket from my chrome cover.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley has you guys brain washed. I hardly ever put a new gasket on after opening up the primary or just the derby. In fact on my last bike I was in checking my cam shoes every so often and never replaced the gasket. I have never had a leak other that a couple seals that went bad. But I guess the MOCO needs the money. LOL

Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 AM
marcortez
Tourer

Originally Posted by clap
Harley has you guys brain washed. I hardly ever put a new gasket on after opening up the primary or just the derby. In fact on my last bike I was in checking my cam shoes every so often and never replaced the gasket. I have never had a leak other that a couple seals that went bad. But I guess the MOCO needs the money. LOL
I agree, but unless I can physically look at this particular cover and verify it has the slot for the orange seal.....I won't order one.

It was a long shot that anyone actually has a cover as this:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-04-2533606--1 or something similar, and could verify it has the gasket slot.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marcortez
I agree, but unless I can physically look at this particular cover and verify it has the slot for the orange seal.....I won't order one.

It was a long shot that anyone actually has a cover as this:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-04-2533606--1 or something similar, and could verify it has the gasket slot.
It's an accessory from HD and they must have made thousands too many. Those go perfectly on the 5 speed trannys. But ,well, what I said above.
You should have called your local H-dealer yesterday when it was open.

Last edited by maddghost; 10-20-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Derby cover slot for a gasket