Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need wiring help

Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Lonnie26
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wiring help

Just replaced my handlebars on my 13 street bob. Also installed 2.5" tank lift after figuring out how dumb the wiring is going into the handlebar controls i just cut and spliced them back together with the new bars taped each wire heat shrunk tube after that (still using all my stock cables/wiring) i gently pulled a little slack on the wires to make sure i had plenty of room to splice. Anyway put everything together and turned the switch and only the headlight and tail light come on! Speedo doesnt work and no handlebar controls or signals.anyone know what i could have unplugged? Or what fuse might have blown? I ask because the speedo and everything is on seperate wires from the bars so i dont see the problem being my splicing.. Any help please and thanks!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM
butterballs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a sticker in the back of your fuse cover that shows you what fuse does what.

Last edited by butterballs; 10-21-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I could be wrong, but I do believe the run/kill switch is on the same curcuit as the speedo cluster, if you have a short or pinched wire in your swap you might have blown a fuse. Best thing to do is pick up a service manual and read the wiring schmatic to help isolate your problem. Also, loosen the switch housings, change the fuse and power the bike up, if it all works, you have a pinched wire when you tighten up the switch housing. Make sure wires are clear and tighten one side up and with power check the fuse, then do the other side. Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you might have left something unplugged. It's a little difficult to say what you did wrong. Diagnosing over the Internet is not easy.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good advice on getting a service manual. In the mean time, get a piece of wood for support, remove the tank bolts, and gently slide it back a little. Prop it up on the wood, then take off the black plastic panel underneath. Your connectors are all up in there. Look one that's been pulled out. I had plenty of slack for my 2" lift and 12" rise bars, so you "shouldn't" have had any problems either, but it's worth ruling out.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Lonnie26
Novice

Thanks all when i get home i am gonna get the tank up and hopefully i either unplugged something by accident or just blew a fuse.. I will post again with results as always thanks for the advice

Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why you would cut the wires. You can take the wires out of the molex connector and it is much quicker then cutting and splicing wires. Did you solder the wires before you put the tape and heat tubes on them. If not they could have become seperated very easily. If it was me, I would do each wire over and solder them, check and make sure each plug is connected and every fuse is good. Did you pull the main fuse before you started working on it?

If you don't do your homework before you start a project, you will be doing it over multiple times.

Make sure before you move the tank back that you depressurize the fuel system and disconnect the fuel line to the tank...it is very short.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Lonnie26
Novice

Blown a (15) fuse replaced it and all good. Nothing wrong with my splicing and the reason it blew was because i was a dumbass and fergot to disconnect batt.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it is all good.