Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Dyna Solo Spring Seat SNAFU?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dyna Solo Spring Seat SNAFU?

I bought this seat off ebay about 2-3 months ago. I asked the seller if it would work on an '02 Dyna before I bought it, he said it would. I've had it too long, so I can't return it. Been sitting on the shelf, and finally got around to putting it on. (trying to put it on) Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't think this thing is gonna line up, without some modification.

There are 4 holes in the hardware kit. The 2 front holes kinda line up to 2 of the holes on the frame, but I'd have to drill those 2 holes bigger to fit the mounting bolts. The back 2 holes don't line up with anything. Also, it seems like the seat would sit too far back?

Seems like I have a few options. Hack off the part on the frame that the factory seat slides into, which will put the seat closer to the gas tank, then just drill a few holes to bolt the seat down. Or, secure the front neck of the mounting kit to the seat latch thing on the frame. For the rear, remove the emblem off the seat mount, drill a hole there in the middle, and use a hole that is already there in the frame. Or, just drill out the 2 front holes, and make a 3rd hole on the left rear. I don't think I'd be able to use the right rear hole, because it sits right there above the ignition.

Anyone have any ideas, or am I missing something? I think I can make it work, just would like to hear some opinions/experience before I start chopping ****. I'm not too concerned with cutting off the front seat latch from the frame, because I think the seat being mounted more forward would look better, and I don't foresee myself putting on a stock seat any time soon, but I dunno...

This is what it would look like if I hack off that front seat latch from the frame:

Rear 2 mounting holes don't line up to any pre-existing hole in the frame:

Front holes kinda line up, but would have to drill them out bigger. Also, not sure it's a good idea to use the hole for the rubber thing that holds the top of the battery cover in place?

Seat sits too far back from gas tank?

Last edited by Inthespiral; 10-21-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Nobody?

Emailed the ebay seller yesterday (chopperztuff) asked if this seat and mounting kit was for a different year bike, or if I was missing something with the installation process? No reply. Granted, if I purchased the wrong thing, it's my fault, and I'm past the return window, but when I email a seller before buying, and ask specifically if it will fit my year motorcycle, I expect an honest answer....not "yes it will fit", if it doesn't actually fit.

I think I'll just go ahead and cut off the factory seat mounting tab, or whatever you call it, and secure the mounting plate like that.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the final pic where it sits with the holes sorta lining up? If so, I agree with you that the seat needs to be closer to the tank since the back of the plate is hanging off near the struts.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

That diagonal mount in the front should be pretty flush with the backbone I would think. Don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but I made my own seat mount for my seat. I bolted the seat to the mount and then the mount to the frame. I used a truck camper shell "gasket" to seal off and prevent metal to metal contact between the seat mount and the frame to prevent water from running in there. There are three points where the bolts are connecting the seat to the mount. I only have have one bolt in front and one in the back that secure the mount to the frame. That is plenty sturdy. I did have to drill the holes into the frame for this, but they are both in locations that can be easily accessed for removal and do not interfere with anything vital underneath. Here is a link:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-build-12.html

Last edited by Robbie13; 10-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Thanks Robbie. Your seat looks great! Hell, your whole bike is awesome.

At this point, I think I'm just gonna cut that seat latch thing off the frame, and see where that gets me. I should be able to secure the mount to the frame with just a couple bolts. I'll give it a whirl this weekend and see what happens.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Yeah, that should put you up closer to the tank. I actually think I may have tapped the hole near the backbone if I remember right. I spent a lot of time with a beer in my hand and just looking to get it how I wanted. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Fixed. Just need to throw on a little paint, then get it situated and start drilling holes.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 PM
DCWilcox61
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you are making it work! Cool seat!