Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike keeps cutting out..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Andrew17019
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bike keeps cutting out..

Originally posted this in the electrical section but didn't get many responses. I posted a question related to this earlier in here and got a lot of advice. Unfortunately it hasn't been resolved. Here's the situation:

I've been having a problem off and on that seems to reappear every three or four weeks with my 2006 Dyna Lowrider.

I will be riding at a stable speed and revs when the engine will hiccup and I will lose power for a split second. I at first thought it was a fuel issue, but I recently noticed that before this happens the headlight will go dim or flicker for a few seconds before it dies. That leads me to believe that it is a voltage issue.

I used a voltmeter and got the following at the battery terminal:

Turned off: 12.72
Key turned to ignition: 12.22
Lowest load during start sequence: 10.3
At idle (30 seconds): 14.2
On rev: 14.2
With high beams on and holding brake lever in: 14.17

These don't seem abnormal, I am thinking it is a ground issue. I don't have any aftermarket electronics except for a brake-run light module.

It dies and comes back to life relatively quickly, but it has happened twice while at speeds above 50 mph and I lost speed very quickly when the engine died. It also happened while cruising around 45 mph.

Can anyone point me in the direction of grounds that usually come loose? I've checked as many connections as I could find.

I conducted a full tug-test from the front harness all the way to the back with the engine running and wasn't able to replicate the problem. It also didn't have problems going over speed bumps, it only happens when either running at a steady pace or accelerating.

The spark plugs were changed after the first time it started creating the problem and it continues to have issues. From the voltage readings I don't think it's the battery. The battery connections are tight, and I replaced all fuses and coated them with dielectric grease.

I know that 06 Dynas have stator issues, but I don't know what the signs would be that the stator is going vs. just having a bad ground or a bad voltage regulator.

Is there something simple that I could be missing? Do the voltages look normal? This problem has plagued me for the last two months, and I'm getting tired of it.

Help!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM
bigred08046
Intermediate

how old is yor battery? Mine is doing exact same thing but seems to get better after warmed up. My bike is used and think it has orginal battery. Yes my stator assembly blew apart this summer and Harley paid for all of it but $100.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Andrew17019
Cruiser

We're there signs that your stator was going or did it just go one day? I've been considering the battery, not sure how old it is, there are no markings.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you say it dies that doesn't explain a lot. Does all the electrical go dead or is it just the ignition dieing?

I'm going to say you still haven't located the bad / corroded / loose connection, and it sounds as though it might be heat related. Places to look would be where the positive from the battery connects to the solenoid, or where the ground connects, often the frame or starter housing.

It could be a shorting stator. Open up the primary like your checking the oil level and smell. If the odor is bad like burning transformers that's where I'd start. Next could be a faltering Voltage Regulator, perhaps due to corrosion at it's mounting points. A loose or poor connection at the stator connection, or a bared wire between the stator to the regulator, or even a break in the wire that can't be seen, like at a vibration point where the wire is being held to gether by the insulation. Heat the insulation and the broken wire stops making contact because the insulator is hot and stretches. Often the wires coming out of the regulator rub the frame and break or short.

Could be a faltering ignition switch, or ignition module too.

Do you have an official Harley "SERVICE" manual for your bike? The back pages have complete wiring diagrams.

And on your readings ... They appear to be exactly what they should be. In regards to the battery they do suffer internal shorts leading to "on the road" failure, or intermittent issues based on road surface.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM
bigred08046
Intermediate

I was on the way to shore and heard a bang from left side of case. Thought at first it was clutch plates. Continued on and enjoyed the beach. Started fine and was headed to freeway but decided to get a burger first. Went to start and thats when I knew. Slow cranking but started. Ran down freeway ~75 and kept hearing banging but said screw it I'm goin for it. Bike died 25 miles from home.
This year and model are know for stator problems. Google 06 Dyna stator. You'll be shocked! No pun.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Fireman064
Intermediate

as stupid as it sounds check your motor mounts...just had the same problems tracked it to my relays. well after swapping those out 3 times the dealer asked if I had vibration issues...i didnt think it was any more than other dyna's ...its a hd they vibrate. well dyna models have faulty motor mounts. (mine was on the rack next to a 13 getting its front motor mount replaced) I know it sounds not even related but my problems started out sounding like yours. cleaned and checked every connection, replaced the battery... so on. worth a look because all dyna's 06 up have motor mount issues. replaced mine and no more problems. like a whole new bike and i was about to trade it that day it left me stranded on the side of the freeway. Found out the hard way. hope this helps

Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Andrew17019
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fireman064
as stupid as it sounds check your motor mounts...just had the same problems tracked it to my relays. well after swapping those out 3 times the dealer asked if I had vibration issues...i didnt think it was any more than other dyna's ...its a hd they vibrate. well dyna models have faulty motor mounts. (mine was on the rack next to a 13 getting its front motor mount replaced) I know it sounds not even related but my problems started out sounding like yours. cleaned and checked every connection, replaced the battery... so on. worth a look because all dyna's 06 up have motor mount issues. replaced mine and no more problems. like a whole new bike and i was about to trade it that day it left me stranded on the side of the freeway. Found out the hard way. hope this helps
I have actually been thinking that it was vibrating more than usual even at idle. Didn't think much of it, will probably end up taking it in to the dealership soon.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

is the bike throwing a code cold be the TPS sensor or CPS as well

Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

Man that could be so many things. Like you, it sounds like a ground issue or an ignition issue. However it could be battery, could be the stator, could be an ECM issue. Could be a mixture of them all.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Andrew17019
Cruiser

I've been fighting this for months, it reappeared after about 4 weeks of being fine. Bike still hasn't thrown a code. It's only completely died twice, and I haven't been able to relicate any of it in my garage.