Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality time with the wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Midge54
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality time with the wide glide

So went to the MSF experienced riders course that's required to ride on fort hood. So going through the exercises with the wide glide it was easy to see how much differently it handled compared to my old sportster. Tight turns and u turns we're challenging at first but going through the exercises I quickly learned that the bike was a lot more capable than I thought and once I got the proper technique I could easily accomplish the tasks. There were a few times that I thought the bike would certainly drug against the ground, however I never once scrapped. I understand now why some say riding a wide glide isn't for everyone, however I love mine even more now. Just wanted to share my experience today

Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

My WG is much older than yours but, I have ridden a 12 so I can comment. I absolutely agree with you that these bikes are great handling. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Navada and the majority of my riding is on mountain twistys. I ride through Yosemite Valley at least 2 to 3 times a month. I have done all the major passes. Tioga, Sonora, Ebbits, Carson and Sherman. My bike has had some suspension upgrades and longer than stock shocks. I have never dragged a peg like I did on my old FLH and I love how well balanced the bike is. It does ok on the grind(interstates) but my 21"90/90 likes to track in the groves a bit. I will never sell this bike (it has almost 70k on it so resale would suck anyway), But I am considering a new touring bike for next year.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 PM
okbill
Cruiser

I went from a sporty to a WG and I agree, it handles alot different. I'm getting use to it day by day. I love mine also!!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did just as well or better than guys on rice rockets when I went to the course, its all about technique!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM
jaws52
Cruiser

That's nuts. Fort Hood actually requires the experienced rider course!? Do they help pay for it?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaws52
That's nuts. Fort Hood actually requires the experienced rider course!? Do they help pay for it?
If you are in the military its mandatory and free. At least in the Navy & Marine Corps. We are also required to take a refresher every 3 years. It really is a good course.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Midge54
Advanced

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
If you are in the military its mandatory and free. At least in the Navy & Marine Corps. We are also required to take a refresher every 3 years. It really is a good course.
Exactly, army pays for it because they require it, I'm not going to complain because it's a free paid day off to spend with my motorcycle lol

Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It beats working for a living. One of those government things. In the 90's the Air Force would even supply the bike. Now that is crazy.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
My WG is much older than yours but, I have ridden a 12 so I can comment. I absolutely agree with you that these bikes are great handling. I live in the foothills of the Sierra Navada and the majority of my riding is on mountain twistys. I ride through Yosemite Valley at least 2 to 3 times a month. I have done all the major passes. Tioga, Sonora, Ebbits, Carson and Sherman. My bike has had some suspension upgrades and longer than stock shocks. I have never dragged a peg like I did on my old FLH and I love how well balanced the bike is. It does ok on the grind(interstates) but my 21"90/90 likes to track in the groves a bit. I will never sell this bike (it has almost 70k on it so resale would suck anyway), But I am considering a new touring bike for next year.
You are right on the money. You will miss it no matter how much you like the new dresser.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Tight slow turns(left or right) = Try not to accuate the rightside lever GIZMOTHING or you'll have some embarrassing splayning to do!

Quick Reply: Quality time with the wide glide