Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Jojo26
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated gear.....

I live and ride in the fabulous Pacific Northwest and try and ride as long as there isn't snow on the ground. I guess I am not as tuff as I used to be cuz cold weather seems to bother me more than it used to. I have never ran any heated clothing such as gloves, vest, jackets, pants but wanted to see what everyone had to say on what worked the best and isn't too bulky. My 99 fxdx is riged and ready to plug into whatever I decide, just wanted to get some opinions before I spend the $$$$.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

so far i have the harley vest and gloves,,, they work great and really make it comfortable out there... rode in today at 42' not too bad shins hurt cause i was wearing shorts

Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several years ago, I bought Gerbing heated gloves, boot insoles and a dual control unit.

The gloves never get really "hot", but do extend the range of temps I can ride in. The insoles' wiring wore
through in a single season exposing bare copper. Neither ever got hot enough to really need the control
unit.

It's possible that the outlet I bought them through did not plug into a high-enough voltage circuit to make
them really effective, considering work that they've done on other bikes, that isn't out of the question,
but I'm just not thrilled with the quality of the product, anyway.

I no longer bother with the controller and haven't repaired the insoles' wiring; I just plug the gloves in.
They DO HELP, but for the price, I think they should perform better than they do. I'd rate the gloves as
"OK" at best.. the insoles a "fail"..

FWIW

Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I ride year round, temps in the winter average around 20-30 with a few good drops here and there. I have the Gerbing Vest and Harley (Gerbing) gloves. I have been thinking about getting the pants also. I got the gloves first because the windshield didn't cut the wind off of my hands, what a difference they made for my hour commute. It wasn't until I started wearing the gloves that I relized how cold my upper body was getting, hands just hurt to much from the cold, thats when I went with the vest. Now I want the pants so I can ride longer in the winter. The only thing I don't like about the system is trying to get my wires ran thru my jacket from the vest and down the sleves, for this reason alone, I would recommend the long sleve liner and not the vest.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cycle gear hotwired (sedici) brand is made by gerbings even the jacket thermostats are interchangable between Hotwired(sedici), HD, Gerbings, and a few others I believe

get the actual heated gloves not the glove liners, the gloves plug into the jacket sleeve cuffs. in 40 degree weather you honestly have to turn down the thermostat on the gloves they get that hot.

cant really say for below 40 degrees how good this works, but staying warm at 40 degrees for 75miles at 75 mph this works.

long sleeve shirt like cotton if super cold freeze out long john shirt
hotwired jacket
leather jacket

hotwired gloves

freeze out long johns
carhart/ dickies work pants
boots(thick socks)

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Gerbings heated jacket liner (Gerbings makes long sizes, Harley doesn't)
Gerbings G3 gloves
Harley dual controller (Harleys comes with clip on cover, Gerbings doesn't)
Captain Itch gadget mount

If you get a set up you'll kick yourself in the *** FOR NOT HAVING BOUGHT IT SOONER!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Like yourself I ride all year long and it gets pretty cold here on Long Island. A few years ago I got the Gebring gloves and controller and WOW does it a make a huge difference. I have not bothered with any other heated gear as I have plenty of warm clothes for the rest of my body. The only thing I was thinking about adding were the heated socks. As stated the wires for these things can be a little bit of a pain to thread through your jacket. I decided to run the wires under the console and wire tie them to the handle bars. I bought the Gebring coil extension cables to go from the gloves to the wires on the handle bars. The thermostat is wire tied to the bottom of the console. I will be putting them back on the bike in the next week or so and I remove them in the spring. This setup is not the best looking but for ease of use it is a breeze.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:50 PM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Bought the gloves three years ago, wished I'd bought them before then. Probably the best thing you can get for Fall and Winter riding, especially if you have bit of the arthritis in your hands.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Jojo26
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info and response all good stuff to know especially with the cost on most of this stuff.