Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Cycle or H-D windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 AM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default National Cycle or H-D windshield

2011 FXDC SuperGlide

I am about to pop for either the National Cycle "Spartan" windshield or the H-D compact model.
Of particular interest to me is the quick release mounting system.

The H-D one seems (online visual) to be a slicker setup over the National Cycle model. The mounting hardware on the H-D is not left behind to stay on the fork tubes, whereas the National Cycle ones are.
And a lock is available for the H-D model at extra cost, whereas I cannot find a lock for the National Cycle model.

Can anyone please comment on either of these two mounting systems?
The mount for the H-D model is included in the price, whereas the National Cycle is an extra, albeit required, add-on purchase, however the National Cycle "Spartan", with the mount, is about $30 bucks less than the H-D....... buying from JP Cycles.

For reference: National Cycle http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...&search_model=

H-D http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/quick-release-compact-windshield-pa-20-5834606--1
A mouse over will enlarge more detail of this mount.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 AM
MrPappagiorgio
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with the national cycle but I do have the HD windshield. The mounts work very well, look nice and are easy to take it off and on.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If have a national cycles windshield called the switch blade. I love it.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM
jpicht
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modified windshield

The HD quick-release system is very nice. I like to ride without the shield most of the time and it's great to be able to replace when I want to in about 10 seconds. However, the HD shield is somewhat flimsy compared to Clearview or Long Ride Shields. Plus those are recurve which allows a much lower shield to still get the same or better coverage. I bought a used HD shield and used the clamps and brackets to mount to my Clearview replacement shield. You should look into the same setup. You'll save $ and have a better product to boot.

Here is one on E-Bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-HARLEY-U...-/261314716836

Make sure it is for the 49 mm forks.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 PM
ashus
6th Gear

Quick release on the HD model is gr8 but be prepared for annoying buffeting above 60 mph and headache inducing buffeting heading up towards 80mph

Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM
DoomGloom
Tourer

I have the National Cycle Spartan Shield on my Street Bob....compared to the Harley shield, it is of much higher quality....the Harley shield is easily flexed the Spartan is made of a thicker harder to scratch material. I have the 18 inch shield.
The Harley mounting system is nice and leaves nothing behind and is lockable....there are no locks for the Spartan, but that was not a concern since Im running a 7 inch headlight and it would have to be lowered out of the way to remove the shield........
Thought Id remove the shield for local rides, but Ive never taken it off since installing it......

Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
DoomGloom
Tourer

Here's some pics of the National Cycle Spartan shield

Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 PM
marcortez
Tourer

Originally Posted by DoomGloom
Here's some pics of the National Cycle Spartan shield

Perfect Mr Gloom.....thank you very much for your time and efforts to post up those photos.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

running the hd quick release , nice fact is you can move it up or down very easy. nice weather I mount mine below the lower triple tree with the bottom mounts and if the weather turns bad all you have to do is stop and move it up,

Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 3 HD quick releases and switch them between my Dyna and Sporty. I don't have any problem with buffeting at 60, 80 or at cruising speeds.

Quick Reply: National Cycle or H-D windshield