Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my damn mind. I'm keeping the mini apes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Yep...I love mine! Had to put forwards on it. Real nice set up for me. I rode my wife's WG and I feel like I'm leaning forward.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Funny thing, the Fatbob came with mid controls until 2010. I have them on my '09 and you are right, they are a great match with the stock drag bars. I dont know why they switched to forwards only in '11. My buddy has the same bike with forwards and it just folds me up to much and I'm not tall at 5'6.

Love the apes and forwards on my 72. Just a very natural body position to ride in. More comfortable than my Fatbob for cruising, although I love my fatbob set up for mountain and canyon riding. I may eventually go apes and floorboards on the bob.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I love the wild one chubby outlawz that I have . they are comfortable and ride great. As long as you don't move them too far forward they are excellent.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
Apes ROCK! Period.

Maybe not for everyone but I love mine!
Im with you...their it for me too.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I like my mini apes, I loved my 16" apes on my Sportster, one day I will have higher bars on my Street Bob.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:10 AM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camden
When I started seriously checking out which Dyna I wanted to ride home, I made sure to spend some time in the seat of each model to see which handlebar setup I liked best. I liked the look of the drag bars best, but looks ain't everything.

I thought I'd hate the mini apes, but I realized real quick during the test ride that they weren't bad at all. I thought I was sure about going with drag bars and after riding the Fat Bob I chose the Street Bob and ordered drag bars.

Well, it has taken 5-1/2 weeks for everything to come in. I'm going to pick up the second riser today. And damned if I haven't grown to love these mini apes. I gotta say I never thought I'd be an ape guy, but damn they're comfortable. I'm gonna sell these brand new drag bars, risers, and cables I now have.

And somewhat related... I think H-D got the setup wrong on the Street Bob and Fat Bob. The Street Bob should come with mini apes and forward controls and the Fat Bob should come with drag bars and mid controls.
I had literally THE exact same experience just came to like the mini-apes a bit quicker. I too was looking at T-Bars from West Coast (8-10" rise) and really like the look but haven't ridden extensively on a bike who have them. I honestly thought I'd have a lot of hand fatigue and circulation issues with the mini-apes but really like them at this point (two weeks of riding). Not sure that I'll keep them or not but I definitely don't want to go through swapping them out for T-Bars just to swap them back.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

My only bike is FXD that came with 12" (I think) mini apes. I've sat on a bunch of other bikes with other combos, but at 6' 3" with a 34" inseam, I can't imagine riding without forwards and apes. I much prefer sitting upright. With my apes, my hands are still well below my shoulders. Yes there is some pressure on my butt, but my my body and joints ( neck, shoulders, hips, etc) are great with my setup.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 PM
FXDBISBOB
Intermediate
Default mini vs T bars

My fxdbi came with mini apes and they were comfy and u could see your mirrors well. Then I got 10inch West coast T bars. Felt Ackward at first got use to em first ride. Currently have 12inch WEST COAST MX bars with bung king 1.5 spacer. Feels perfect Im 6'2.

Just to mention My top trees dont have that BS built in bar clamp also. Course I also have HD quarter fairing T bars look funny without IMO

T bars and mx bars feel good ergo wise and control better than those mini apes

Last edited by FXDBISBOB; 11-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 AM
dupmaronew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I thought I was going to hate apes. Halfway through the test ride I started to love them. Fist in the wind is the only way to go

Old 11-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Bbrownsb14
Advanced

I kinda miss the drag bars I had on my sporty they just weren't tall enough at six inches I love the 12 in apes on my 14 sb a lot more comfortable I still think about gettin sum 12 straight up t bars or the mx bars I miss the handling feel the t bars give I grew up racing mx and now race hare scrambles on quads kinda think if I had 12 in w coast mx or even a straight 12 in riser with pro tapers like I have on my yfzr 450 would be sick then I could go head and get the gauntlet fairing I've been wanting without a fairing I'd keep the apes they look way better than t bars with no fairing IMO

Quick Reply: Changed my damn mind. I'm keeping the mini apes.