Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIP Ignition Module...2005-2013 (or is it really?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RIP Ignition Module...2005-2013 (or is it really?)

Apparently my ignition module (32478-04A-05060 according to the sticker on it) died on me yesterday.

I took my bike to a car wash where I've had it washed a million times (family owned biz). They don't use pressure washers on my bike, and always cover the seat and the heavy breather cone.

So anyways, I proceed to start the bike after it was done...and nothing happened. After a couple of tries only one cylinder starts firing. I toy around around with the spark plug wires and it seemed that if I moved the rear cylinder spark plug wire a certain way, then both cylinders would start firing normally.

In the midst of the tugging and the pulling, I shocked myself a couple times, and then the "moving the spark plug wire" trick stopped working. I thought that either the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, or the coil were the problem...and there began my journey.

1. The spark plugs

Just slightly fouled

- I hadn't changed spark plugs in 2 years, (and they were in the bike long before I purchased it, the bike had been in an insurance wrecking yard for God knows how long before I won the bid)

- I changed both spark plugs for two new ones.

Still, only one cylinder would fire...up next, the spark plug wires and the coil...

2. The spark plug wires

- I thought the front cylinder spark plug wire was the problem, since the rear one worked fine (fired up the rear cylinder) I purchased a spark plug wire set from a friend and still only the rear cylinder would fire, so the problem was not the spark plug wire!

3. The coil

Since changing the spark plugs and spark plug wires didn't work, I worked up the ladder and thought the coil might be the problem. I replaced it with a used one and still only the rear cylinder would fire. Now I was getting apprehensive. Next stop: the ignition module

4. Ignition module

The part number on the sticker is 32478-04A-05060...I got a loaner module with part# 32478-04A-04380 (it was taken from a Softail)

When I tried started the bike, BOTH cylinders would fire, but only for ONE (4-stroke) cycle and then the engine would shut off. I did it 2-3 more times, same results, then they key symbol lighted on the dashboard for a couple of seconds...

This is why I think I need a new ignition module, a compatible one at least.
- The number of the module (printed on a sticker) says 32478-04A-05060
- The Ronnie H-D part finder suggests 32622-04
- When running that part number on the Lake Shore H-D shopping web, it turns into 32622-04C (an extra C)
- When looking through eBay for used alternatives or cheaper OEM, I get different variations of the 32622- but with a "-04A" or "-04B" at the end instead of the -04C suggested by the catalogs...

Which one should I choose? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks! Also thank you for taking your time to read thru all the ordeal...

Last edited by FXD_noob; 11-09-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: corrected part numbers
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The c means its the latest ...revised version ...best bet ...instead of throwing parts at it would be to borrow one from a buddy to see if it works ...could also be the crank sensor ..might take it out clean it off see what happens ..

Old 11-09-2013, 11:30 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
The c means its the latest ...revised version ...best bet ...instead of throwing parts at it would be to borrow one from a buddy to see if it works ...could also be the crank sensor ..might take it out clean it off see what happens ..
Thanks for the crank sensor trip. I agree with you and think the "throwing parts at it" solution is rather slow, but is there any other way of checking if electric/electronic components work? How can I check the ignition module aside from replacing it with another one and trying to start the bike?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master

I've also been suggested a couple more things:

1. Try the borrowed ignition again, but clearing the computer chip first
- Push and hold the odometer button and turn on the ignition key, then release the button...that forces the chip to "relearn" the bike (got this tip from a 07 FXD owner...don't know if it'll work)

2. Use compressed air to blow out any possible water residue from the "Delphi electronics" portion of the fuse box
- I blew air into the rest of the wiring and fuse box, but didn't touch that part of the electronics, it's worth a shot.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 AM
RA51
Road Master

The reason the loaner module will not work but fire only 1 time an shut off. You have to do the password learn for that ecm to work with your bike.
http://www.harley-performance.com/password-learn.html
I have to do this each time I put a different ecm in the bike. You have to do this step by step an not mess up or you will have to start over again. You will also have to do the password learn to reinstalll it to the bike you borrowed it from.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by RA51
The reason the loaner module will not work but fire only 1 time an shut off. You have to do the password learn for that ecm to work with your bike.
http://www.harley-performance.com/password-learn.html
I have to do this each time I put a different ecm in the bike. You have to do this step by step an not mess up or you will have to start over again. You will also have to do the password learn to reinstalll it to the bike you borrowed it from.
YOUR SUGGESTION WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY!! I followed all the steps on the website and BAM! bike started running normally! You are THE MAN. Thank you so much for chiming in on this thread! I rode my baby home today.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Glad you got it worked out. Treat your bike to a new set of plugs if you haven't done that already.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

I did actually. New spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new coil...the whole nine yards! Oil change this weekend and installing the rear master cylinder and I should be done for the season!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:20 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

is this something for the 04 and newer bikes..?? i dont remember doing this on my 01

Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went through this whole entire process myself a few months ago, the difference is it was my Daytona TwinTec aftermarket module that had died

Quick Reply: RIP Ignition Module...2005-2013 (or is it really?)