Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What CAM

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What CAM

This winter I,m thinking I will change out the stock Cam on my twin cam 96 .
I have looked at a lot of aftermarket cams and most are vague as hell about the numbers . Also there is little in uniformity between makes .

I think I will use a Harley cam and looking at the 255 cam . I,m not looking for speed but Low to mid-Range Torque .

Any thought

Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm just about done with a woods 222 in my 103. it's supposed to be a low/mid torque cam. i'm excited as hell to give her a run, but we have had a bit of snow and ice the last couple days. supposed to be almost 60 this weekend though, so after i button everything up and give her a spin i will let you know my thoughts.

if you search around a bit, many recommend the andrews 48 iirc. supposed to be pretty good for a 96er, but i don't have any direct experience to speak with confidence. but as im sure someone will point out, the search function will provide about a zillion threads to educate yourself on the matter as this is a fairly common question. the other thing you could do is call FM or Hillside, ect, to get their opinion too.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
I have looked at a lot of aftermarket cams and most are vague as hell about the numbers . Also there is little in uniformity between makes .

I think I will use a Harley cam and looking at the 255 cam . I,m not looking for speed but Low to mid-Range Torque .

Any thought
I am interested to see what you decide on and the results! I initially thought I would wait to do a big bore kit and change the cam at that same time. But now I am thinking I need something now! I am not so much hung up on the low range torque, but mid range torque is down right depressing on my bike!

I felt no difference when I put on my pipes and a/c, I am really hoping a good cam will make a difference.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM
timberwolfz28
Road Master

I'll make you a deal on my nearly new S&S 640G

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
I am not so much hung up on the low range torque, but mid range torque is down right depressing on my bike!
Fever, don't underestimate the SE 204, it's a great little boost for just that kinda range. I understand they don't do well with big bore conversions though, so maybe do some digging on that. I'm very happy with mine, on a stock 96"!

BTW, I personally know 2 separate guys that have upped their motors to 103 & the impression I got is that they were less than impressed with the results & both felt the $$ could better be spent elsewhere. Just what I heard..

Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any thought
I think the 255's will do you nicely.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 PM
johnd5412
Cruiser

i have used 3 different cams and i wanted power in the same range as you.
in terms of performance i rate them in the following order
stock cam
se 255
andrews 54h
wood 555

Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero
Fever, don't underestimate the SE 204, it's a great little boost for just that kinda range. I understand they don't do well with big bore conversions though, so maybe do some digging on that. I'm very happy with mine, on a stock 96"!

BTW, I personally know 2 separate guys that have upped their motors to 103 & the impression I got is that they were less than impressed with the results & both felt the $$ could better be spent elsewhere. Just what I heard..
When I do the big bore kit I was thinking of either going with the FM 107 or the S&S 106. If I am going to spend the money, might as well take a bigger leap than the 103.

But, very good point on picking a cam that will go well with future upgrade!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

My local Dealer has been good to me for a lot of years (close to 40) . This winter they will do a Cam job for half labor ($350.00) but will only do Harley parts . Total out the door about $700.00 ? No Dyno but I have a Power Vision I like anyway and can get a map from them . The Dealers Service Manager is an old friend and he is putting me on the H-D 255 cams . I have rode a lot of miles with him so he knows how I ride . Reason I,M asking about the 255,s is a lot of good things being said about the 204 cams . The Bike is a 2008 with very low miles and just need a little help .

Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My local Dealer has been good to me for a lot of years (close to 40). This winter they will do a Cam job for half labor ($350.00) but will only do Harley parts . Total out the door about $700.00 ? No Dyno but I have a Power Vision I like anyway and can get a map from them . The Dealers Service Manager is an old friend and he is putting me on the H-D 255 cams . I have rode a lot of miles with him so he knows how I ride . Reason I,M asking about the 255,s is a lot of good things being said about the 204 cams . The Bike is a 2008 with very low miles and just need a little help .
Lots of folks who have put the 255s in their dyna say they are awesome up to about 4k rpm.

There is a dyno thread in this forum. You could check it out, as a guide. See which cam puts power where you want it. Your numbers will vary because no two dynos are the same.

Quick Reply: What CAM