Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing tanks to get guages

Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 PM
aviaator
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing tanks to get guages

I have an 06 SG Custom FXDCI and I dislike the single speedo above the handlebar mount ala Sportster - have been looking for ways to modify the guage (and add a tach). I saw an 05 low rider tank for sale with the speedo AND TACH in the tank dash - me likey!

My question is: will the tank fit my bike (05 tank on 06 bike) and how much Frankenstein wiring modification is it going to take to make it work properly with both guages, tach included? Bike currently has no tach.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Your bike would be FI, is the new tank carb or FI, if carb then the issue would be the petcock and lack of fuel pump, as for wiring you could buy the lowrider harness

Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM
aviaator
Cruiser

I'm pretty sure the 05 tank would be carb and not FI but I'd have to ask. The low rider harness is an option but I guess I'm looking for opinions as to how difficult the modification would be..

Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find an 06+ lowrider tank, it will bolt right up.

Actually, 06+ Street Bob and lowrider tanks are the same, just a different dash.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM
aviaator
Cruiser

OK dude claims it's an FI tank. Even if I found an 06 low rider tank, how hard is it going to be to wire up the tach? (mine currently does not have one) I'm fairly mech-savvy but I'm not interested in major fabrication or custom building a wiring harness..

Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe in 05 you could get the dyna's in FI or carb (FI was an option)

What you want to do is compare the wiring schematic on your model and the 05 low and you will see exactly what you will have to change/modify. I can almost gaurantee you will have to legnthen the tripometer to fit in the tank console...the wire just wasn't long enough.

Once you compare schematics you can see what part of the wiring harness you will need to change out and price replacing some of the branches or do a little splicing.
You will find that most of the wiring harness is exactly the same. I took a 2007 FXD and changed it to a FXDC/ fat bob tank and dash. We kept the switch the same so we could put an emblem in the new dash. The speedometer was changed out to a 5" and we also changed out the bars to fat bob bars. The old speedometer was on the handlebars just like yours. If you can buy a dyna low FI tank then it will actually be easier for you because you can use your current speedometer. Here is a pic of the final product:

Last edited by rooti; 11-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Dyna Dave117
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI and maybe the info will help. I used to own a 2004 Dyna Low Rider and it was injected, they came both ways in 2004. Mine was a FXDLI. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM
aviaator
Cruiser

Thanks for the help guys - rooti: great info!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 AM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that while all 2006 plus and even the 04 and 05 FI tanks will mount to all 2006 plus dynas, that Dyna came with two distinctly different tanks. If you look at ebay pics you will see that the plate that seals over the fuel pump and sender is either rounded at the top or squared off. If you plan to reuse your existing parts, this will be important to you.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM
aviaator
Cruiser

Thanks for that. Cant reuse any existing parts on the 05 tank but it's a complete unit tank + dash with gauges.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing tanks to get guages