Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn bug bit me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Damn bug bit me!

Well with the recent posts on cams, the bug bit me and now I want to get one! Not decided on a cam yet, but I have narrowed it down between a couple.

What I need advice on is cam kits. Who has the best kit out there, i.e. what kit is most complete? Im talking gaskets, lube, loctite, hardware, etc.

I like the easy install rods, I dont want to go through the top. It looks like S&S has some pretty easy to install pushrods, are FM's just as easy?

Also, cam bearing pullers and installers, any place I can pick up a cheap (as in price).

I've read a lot of posts and watched a lot of videos. Even though I am not a wrench turner, I am pretty confident in doing this job on my own,

Old 11-16-2013, 05:24 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't help you with the installation but salute the willingness to take on the job yourself. I'm sure you'll love the results.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:27 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

i go back and forward with the cams,

would be good wideglidefever to see what the bare minimum is required for a cam change

i missed some andrews48H for a 96ci just recently, they seem to get good reviews, lots of choice

look forward to seeing how it goes

also I couldnt find a dynojet base map for close to my setup so could flash and then autotune, maybe a powercommander one

thanks
mirrmu

Last edited by mirrmu; 11-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hi,

i go back and forward with the cams,

would be good wideglidefever to see what the bare minimum is required for a cam change

i missed some andrews48H for a 96ci just recently, they seem to get good reviews, lots of choice

look forward to seeing how it goes

also I couldnt find a dynojet base map for close to my setup so could flash and then autotune, maybe a powercommander one

thanks
mirrmu
Yeah I am deciding between Andrews48H and TW222. I figured i would give FM a call and see what could they give me as far as a base map for my PV.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:04 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to this thread an bought the remover/installer an bearings from Mr. Beatty. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ller-tool.html
Tool was easy to use to remove bearings an install the new bearings. Price was right around 100.00. E-mail him it is in the posts.
I used the Screamin Eagle adjustable pushrods an tubes with the tw 555 cams. It was easier job than I expected. Had to buy 1 gasket an 3 o-rings from Harley.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the blind hole bearing puller from Harbor Freight...with a 20% coupon is still under $60.
http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html

Maybe not the best tool in the world, but it worked for me and it can be used on many different sizes for something like a wheel bearing, etc.

Put the new bearings in the freezer overnight and tap them in...I have their seal driver set too.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with Feuling Reaper 543 cams in my stock 103 & left the stock pushrods in it am I'm really happy with the results.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=RA51;11992201]I went to this thread an bought the remover/installer an bearings from Mr. Beatty. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ller-tool.html
Tool was easy to use to remove bearings an install the new bearings. Price was right around 100.00.

My brother got this tool so I used for my change. Tool works great. I have the Andrews 48H cams and they are just what I was looking for.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put 222 in my 103. Still dialing in the PV, but so far the amount of power is very noticeable. S&s has a nice install kit that gives u the gasket, bearings, oil pump o ring, and circlip. EBay has them for about $28 I got pushrods from FM because u can use the stock covers which saves u a few dollars. I also changed lifters while I was in there too and went with gatermans. Pretty pleased with everything. One tip tho, with mine after adjusting, then readjusting the pushrods, I gave it an initial start and it was clacketing pretty bad. Totally thought I screwed something up. After pm'ing another member, he told me he had to take it for a short ride before everything quieted down. Well, since I really haven't seen anyone mention it, I will tell you that it took about 2-3 miles down the road before mine got quiet. I was pretty nervous until that point, but now I'm very happy with the extra power, and it really is as quiet as stock. Maybe a tiny hair louder, but overall very normal amount if noise. Btw, some say to use red locktite onthe adjustable rods, well I can tell you from experience that it is a big pain in the *** if you have to go back in and readjust . It was a fun project though, and well worth the time. Oh, and anyone that says the 222 runs out of gas in the higher rpms is on crack. Those things pull crazy hard well up over 5000 rpm.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
I just put 222 in my 103. Still dialing in the PV, but so far the amount of power is very noticeable. S&s has a nice install kit that gives u the gasket, bearings, oil pump o ring, and circlip. EBay has them for about $28 I got pushrods from FM because u can use the stock covers which saves u a few dollars. I also changed lifters while I was in there too and went with gatermans. Pretty pleased with everything. One tip tho, with mine after adjusting, then readjusting the pushrods, I gave it an initial start and it was clacketing pretty bad. Totally thought I screwed something up. After pm'ing another member, he told me he had to take it for a short ride before everything quieted down. Well, since I really haven't seen anyone mention it, I will tell you that it took about 2-3 miles down the road before mine got quiet. I was pretty nervous until that point, but now I'm very happy with the extra power, and it really is as quiet as stock. Maybe a tiny hair louder, but overall very normal amount if noise. Btw, some say to use red locktite onthe adjustable rods, well I can tell you from experience that it is a big pain in the *** if you have to go back in and readjust . It was a fun project though, and well worth the time. Oh, and anyone that says the 222 runs out of gas in the higher rpms is on crack. Those things pull crazy hard well up over 5000 rpm.
Thank for the input, exactly what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Damn bug bit me!