Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar change question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Bar change question

Quick question.

I tugged on the wires a bit but didn't want to pull too hard. Do I need to remove the rubber boot from the frame-hole? If so, will it just pop out?

See the boot in the pic.

Attached Thumbnails Bar change question-image.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM
drew1879@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes right out but going back in is pain in the ***. Just take it out and take time putting it back in

Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rubber bung comes off with some persuasion, I wouldn't call it 'popping off' exactly. You've removed the plastic cover under the frame neck already? Pretty easy to reach with your tank lift installed. Anyway that's where the connectors sit that you need to unplug before the wires will pull back through that hole you see them coming out of. Ignore me if you've done this already.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Taking the boot out really opens it up so you can see what's going on. After you take it out, lay it out so you can put it back in the same way. when re-installing, put the solid part of the boot in first and the split part in last and it will be pretty easy.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Bushranger
Cruiser

This video helped me when changing mine, to me it was the most frustrating part of the job though this guy (Mud?) makes it look easy.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks guys. That's what I figured, but didn't want to screw it up.

Hero, I don't see a plastic cover unless you are describing the same boot/grommet thing on each side of the hole.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't disconnect anything. I need to go work on an airplane. This is now a weekend project.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
619bob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drew1879@gmail.com
It comes right out but going back in is pain in the ***. Just take it out and take time putting it back in
+1 I always manage to leave some skin and torn nail beds behind during this step...lol

Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Bushranger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
Thanks guys. That's what I figured, but didn't want to screw it up.

Hero, I don't see a plastic cover unless you are describing the same boot/grommet thing on each side of the hole.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't disconnect anything. I need to go work on an airplane. This is now a weekend project.

The plastic cover sits under the neck, just below and back from the grommets in your pic, I only removed the grommets though and the plugs pulled straight out.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can do that bar swap in a hour, like bushrangr said pull that plastic cover off its under the frame neck... above the front rocker box, you have to squeeze it together like a pill bottle sort of, sometimes you need to push the connectors up from the bottom side of the neck so your not pulling on them hella hard. you shouldn't need to take apart the connectors on 12 and up dynas. you should be able to easily pull the wires threw the bars with the connectors on.

now if your changing cables also it might take 3-4 hours, if the wire holes in the center of the MX bars from forbidden are not big enough to get the connectors threw i would bore them out with a dremal VS. pulling the connector pins out.

post some pics when done

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[EDIT - yeah, what brandon95354 said...I type too slow]

The 2013s have smaller connectors. You won't need to de-pin anything. They fit through the bars pretty easily for both my 1" and 1 1/4" changes.

Last edited by SquidHead; 11-19-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Bar change question