Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 low rider apes install

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 PM
burgerusmc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 low rider apes install

Bought a sweet set of 13' bonanza narrow glide ape hangers, and i ran the new wires through the bars fine, buutt where do they plug into? I can not find any diagram that says where the connectors are for the wire ends. I traced them under the seat and can not find where they end. Thanks for any help fellas. Also I cant figure out how to pull the wires out from the hollow backbone. Thanks guys..

Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The wires are located in the frame, raise the front of the tank and you will see where the wires go in, you can pull them out gently, if they seem stuck its because they are tied up in the frame, look inside your rear fender in front of the rear wheel, you will see a square plastic about 2.5 x 2.5, pull that cover off and remove the tie wrap to free the harness, good idea to have someone push the wires up and another to pull them out.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by burgerusmc
Bought a sweet set of 13' bonanza narrow glide ape hangers, and i ran the new wires through the bars fine, buutt where do they plug into? I can not find any diagram that says where the connectors are for the wire ends. I traced them under the seat and can not find where they end. Thanks for any help fellas. Also I cant figure out how to pull the wires out from the hollow backbone. Thanks guys..
13 FOOT?! Wow, those things are gonna be tall. lol

Seriously though, on the older dynas the connectors are under the seat or in that general vicinity. At least that's what I've read on these forums numerous times.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:45 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

My '01 SG did not have any in-line connectors from the front controls to the connectors under the seat...My wiring diagrams do not show any in-line connectors and I did not find any in the frame, it was one solid run. I could have removed the wires from the connectors under the seat and put the extensions in there and pulled the slack forward out of the frame, but I decided to cut and splice extensions in the wire run at the frame and cover it with heat shrink and snakeskin. In hindsight, and based on my experience with aircraft wiring modifications and repairs, cutting and splicing extensions in is a better and more secure route than trying to remove/crimp/reinsert contacts into an old plastic connector...even if you have the all right tools and years of experience in using them.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
burgerusmc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
My '01 SG did not have any in-line connectors from the front controls to the connectors under the seat...My wiring diagrams do not show any in-line connectors and I did not find any in the frame, it was one solid run. I could have removed the wires from the connectors under the seat and put the extensions in there and pulled the slack forward out of the frame, but I decided to cut and splice extensions in the wire run at the frame and cover it with heat shrink and snakeskin. In hindsight, and based on my experience with aircraft wiring modifications and repairs, cutting and splicing extensions in is a better and more secure route than trying to remove/crimp/reinsert contacts into an old plastic connector...even if you have the all right tools and years of experience in using them.
I have already cut and spliced the wires at the handlebars once. Can I splice off of a splice? (IF that makes sense).

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by burgerusmc
I have already cut and spliced the wires at the handlebars once. Can I splice off of a splice? (IF that makes sense).
I am not sure what you are saying here but generally it is better to replace the wire with a longer segment using two splices instead of adding more splices in a short run. Without seeing what you are referring to, if you have already spliced the wires previously, then remove those splices, add a longer wire segment using two splices max. It is far cheaper to extend wire segments with new wire and new splices than repairing or replacing a burned up wire bundle or fuse block. Nothing says clueless amateur more than pulling out a wire bundle and seeing a half-dozen splices in a 3 foot section of a single wire....except twisted and taped with no splices or using commercial electrical wire nuts. I saw that a lot back in my avionics days.