Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring guy looking at SB vs FB for 2nd bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Touring guy looking at SB vs FB for 2nd bike

Im on the Touring forum mostly, love my bike and not changing but wanting to add.

I want a bike for a new project, I'm going to black it out.

I was originally looking at a Fat Boy, then changed my mind to a Fat Bob but now I'm thinking Street Bob because the initial purchase seems less.

In pictures they look kind of small, I'm 6' 1" and dont want to be cramped.
I have no intention on touring on it, strictly 100 miles and under, always solo.

Looking for advice on pros and cons on street bob vs fat bob.

Also, what years are there any critical changes or problems.

Last edited by booch; 11-19-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

street bob is probably what you want. its already blacked out, throw some forwards on and your ready to rock n roll. the fat bob is more for touring IMO.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Both Dynas have the same seat/tree/peg dimensions. Neither is larger or smaller than the other. The FB is a little heavier due to the front end.

Aside from the visual differences (rear fender, chrome vs black,bar type,), the functional differences are:
FB has dual front brakes.
FB has a fat front wheel/tire
FB comes with a rear pillion and pegs

The FB is bit more sporty due to the brakes and bigger front wheel.
The SB is a bit more flexible for a broader range of custom styles (especially black.)

Both are great bikes.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I've thought about this same thing. I think I'm leaning more to the softail side of things, but I liked the street bob because of the amount of customization options available with the cheaper low entry point. I'd throw on red laced wheels or alloys, denim black, big radius exhaust, tuner, forward controls, and a new seat for the little lady.

I think there are fewer things I'd want to do on the fat bob off the show room floor. Just the stage one setup with a big radius 2-2 and a tuner. I really like the vivid black paint in the 2014 model year. Eventually I'd want to change the headlights and possibly the rear fender.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as size, my Father is 6'2" and rides the snot out of his sporty. Forward controls are a must in his case.

Either way, the street bob is a little more..... "Classic"

The fat bob is cool too.

Having a touring bike, I would go with the street bob. I personally, like that it has "less".

Chase

Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

First off I am not going to suggest you any bike, that is something you need to decide.
We are using Dyna bikes as our local running around on bikes. Being 6'1" is no big deal if you like the bike. Just use forward controls and if that is not enough add some extensions to them. Kuryakyn and HD sells em. You will most likely change seats so that can add 1-2" of more leg room.
Have a sit on or test ride and decide.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far.
Im not looking for someone to tell me what to buy, just their experiences with what they have or had.
Are there many differences from year to year, good or bad?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the fatbob.
2008-2009 base config.
2010-2011 . wider rear fender/frame.
2012-2013 added 103 engine and can-bus ecm.
2014 new rear fender.

the street bob was 96" until this year. switched to canbus in 2012 with the other dynas
not sure what other changes per year for them.

dual discs and the wider front sold me on the fatbob. it just handled better for me. partially the wider front. partially the drag bars. it was the closest to what i wanted stock.
i still ride with mids at 6'2, but added some highway pegs to stretch out on longer rides.

the dual front lights make fairings/shields harder to find. but there are a few custom options out there. or swap to a single light. or just cut the shield light hole a little wider.

the fat bob and wideglide also have a different rear end than the rest of the dynas which will only really affect sissy bar/fender availability.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I have an Ultra and a Street Bob. Before I retro'd my Street Bob, these were my impressions when I got it:
-buzzing in the handlebars and foot pegs
-more gyroscopic precession with the 19 inch front wheel
-scared the crap out of me when I took it down the Interstate. I thought I was going to be blown clean off the damn thing. Your feet get blown off the pegs, the wind slams you right in the chest and the only thing holding you on the bike are your fingers.

Now for the good:
-just way more enjoyable to ride around town, you may park your touring bike for months at a time.
-with forward controls installed you will have significantly more room to get comfortable on the Dyna. The touring bikes are designed for two people, all the time. The driver must give up room for the sake of a happy passenger. On a Dyna, driver comfort is paramount.

Bottom line for me was to replace the SB integrated risers to clear the handlebar buzz, footboards to negate the buzz from the pegs and keep my feet from being blown off and a windshield when I do ride out of town. It is wonderful to ride locally without the windshield!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Street Bob

Good point about integrated risers. 2013 and 2014 do not have integrated risers. I think they were used between 2010 and 2012.

2006-2008 had longer rear fenders.

2013 eliminated the tail light completely.

In 2013, the 103 engine was available through the H-D1 program (like mine.)

Quick Reply: Touring guy looking at SB vs FB for 2nd bike