Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weisco forged 10.1 88in Pistons

Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM
djdanko1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weisco forged 10.1 88in Pistons

In my previous post I was discussing the possibility of boring my jugs and getting SE 95" pistons. Someone recommended that I Just get Weisco forged 10.1 Pistons for the 88, that way I can avoid doing any boring of the cylinders.

Has anyone used these and are there pros and cons of doing so?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Wiseco forged pistons were recommended as they are better than cast pistons, you would still need to bore out you barrels to make it a 95 inch motor, the higher compression increases the horsepower and torque

Old 11-21-2013, 03:47 PM
djdanko1
Novice

After talking to a member on here I might just use the 88in 10.1CR Wiseco forged pistons.

Last edited by djdanko1; 11-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by djdanko1
After talking to a member on here I might just use the 88in 10.1CR Wiseco forged pistons.
Why? Does boring to 95" cost a lot more than cleaning up the 88 bore?

I'm not a huge advocate of spending a lot of money to get small increases in displacement, but if it was close to free, I'd do it.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM
djdanko1
Novice

I'm actually not sure what is needed to have done to the cylinders before installing the different pistons(if anything). I just know it will be hard for me to find someone to bore it that actually knows what they are doing. from what I understand it will cost about $175+ to get the cylinders bored out. I was assuming there was little to nothing to do when using the different cylinders(88in). If I'm wrong someone please correct me so I can make the best decision.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no boring is required for the std bore Wiseco pistons. When my engine is out of the frame for powdercoating I am gonna install a set of either Wiseco or CP stock bore 10:1 Pistons just because I want forged pistons, and I like to tinker.

It will add a few more HP also, nothing big. I like the way my bike runs now, so I am fine with just a little extra.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 PM
MCCHP
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as your bore taper is in spec a good hone with a nice sunnen hone will be just fine . also depending on how much piston to wall clearance you have you might have to get .005" over piston and have them hone fitted. It takes a long time on the boring bar to go from 88-95 you can only take so much off at a time. Avg cost to bore and hone with torque plates is about $185.00 I would say spend the extra $$ and be done with it. the increased displacment is a good improvment.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 PM
djdanko1
Novice

Originally Posted by MCCHP
As long as your bore taper is in spec a good hone with a nice sunnen hone will be just fine . also depending on how much piston to wall clearance you have you might have to get .005" over piston and have them hone fitted. It takes a long time on the boring bar to go from 88-95 you can only take so much off at a time. Avg cost to bore and hone with torque plates is about $185.00 I would say spend the extra $$ and be done with it. the increased displacment is a good improvment.

Is that only for getting it set up for going to 95" or is that sometimes required when using a different piston (88in)?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Why, why, why? I wasn't even aware anybody made an aftermarket 88" piston. Complete waste of time and money imo. It would cost less than $200 to have the cylinders bored and fitted to the 95" pistons. Btw, do not ever trust the sizing anything is advertised at. Always check piston/cylinder fitment with torque plates, and this is even more critical when going forged. Also avoid forged pistons when they're not needed. Forged pistons will add to the cost, machine work, noise and shorten life. They're simply stronger, that is all. Most 95" mild compression setups are perfectly fine with cast pistons. I would get cast 95" pistons and put the money you saved into boring. I've always loved the se cast 10.25s. I've put them through some serious abuse.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Pyrolysis
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MCCHP
It takes a long time on the boring bar to go from 88-95 you can only take so much off at a time.
Is the process different then on a block motor? >> Boring bar to within 7ish thousands, finish it off with the hone?

While im thinkin of it, how much bigger is the bore?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weisco forged 10.1 88in Pistons