Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting new rear shocks

Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Maricopa Mike
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting new rear shocks

I would really like some suggestions before I buy new rear shocks . I have a budget of under $700 . I ride solo most of the time , but if I can improve the ride enough my girlfriend would start riding more . I ride to and from work in Phoenix every day in traffic and I am looking for comfort and handling . I am a conservative rider , not really into speed , just cruising . So please give me your opinions and if you could include where to get a good deal on them . These will be going onto a 2010 fxdc . Thanks !

Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got Ricor 13" sport tuned shocks. Good shocks and a huge improvement over stock. You can adjust them "on-the fly" by hand so you can go from solo to 2-up riding in a matter of minutes. Also, right about at your price point. You can get them direct from Ricor:
http://store.ricorshocks.com/harley_davidson_s/27.htm

Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Danish-chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on lowering your ride or maintain stock height? If you want to improve comfort and planning on more 2up i guess you want to keep it stock. I like the look on my progressives.. 412 in 11 inch std duty.. It gives a harder, firmer ride than stock. But guessing it is allso because they are only 11 inch and i have them on the hardest setting.. I think that if you are going to do a lot of 2up riding it would be nice for you to have shocks that are fast to adjust, so maybe the ones that ericinnca suggest would be nice.. I would just choose 12 inch instead of 13, because of the looks

Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

If you are looking for a comfortable ride you can pick up air shocks off of an touring bike cheap on ebay. I've seen them as cheap as $35.00 on up. Many people remove the air lines and just use schrader valves like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...6f55b7&vxp=mtr

Or you can keep the air lines, run them under the seat and have just one place to change the pressure like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...33e00b&vxp=mtr

BTW these are actually air assist shocks, and only use air to adjust the ride/height. My 07 SB had them on it when I bought it, and they rode great, but I wanted a firmer ride and I also needed a narrower shock to fit inside some hard bags I modified to fit around the shocks.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too run the ricor shocks, 12 1/2" sport tune. Great shock for that pricepoint.

I wouldn't run a air shock on a dyna. The shocks might "feel" a little better but they are crap for suspension.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:38 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Subscribed. I need shocks for a 2013 FXDC.

Had Ricors on my sportster. Ricors use the IAS valve. I was OK with the Ricors. They were a huge improvement over stock, can be set up for rider weight and firmness preference, but are only adjustable for preload, post purchase.

Progressive 444s use something that is supposed to one-up Ricors to balance compression/rebound damping. They only have standard or hd springs, so aren't as tuned in for a specific rider. I'd like to hear from someone who has them (hopefully that weighs around 200lb and has the standard spring.)

Hagons use a 10 point adjustment for damping, that can be changed depending on road surface. The damping and preload are the only adjustments. But, people speak highly of the shock.

JRi, Penske and WorksPerformance make shocks similar to Hagon. They are more expensive, but they may be more adaptable to a specific rider.

Currently, my finances have me vacillating between the Progressive 444s ($427 on Amazon) and Hagon Nitros ($499.) I would love to hear reviews by people that have ridden on Ricors, 444s and Hagons, but don't know if that person exists.

My intention is to add to the thread, not jack it. For original poster: the Progressive 444s actually advertise nice ride, where Ricor and others seem to appeal to sport riders.

Last edited by boro; 11-24-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: better explanation
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the progressive 430's and am quite pleased. You can micro adjust them if that's what you are looking for too. I'm not that precise but to some that's a biggie. Definitely an improvement over stock and won't break the bank.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:56 AM
boro
Tourer

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
I use the progressive 430's and am quite pleased. You can micro adjust them if that's what you are looking for too. I'm not that precise but to some that's a biggie. Definitely an improvement over stock and won't break the bank.
Good to have a favorable review of Progressives. How much do you weigh, and which spring did you get (standard or hd?) What other shocks have you ridden with, other than OEM?

You can micro-adjust the preload on the 430. But, the damping is not adjustable. Also, I don't see where the 430 has FST (Frequency Sensing Technology.) So, maybe the 444s are even better? FST is substituted for adjustable damping.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:37 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the 444s and I really like them. Ive run those, stockers, and Burlys. The 444s are are a big improvement over stock and don't even compare to the Burly's for comfort. Im 200 and my chick is 170. I leave them really soft for solo and about 3/4 of the firmest setting when I go 2 up. And the hand adjustability is really nice.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM
boro
Tourer
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by spankdog
I have the 444s and I really like them. Ive run those, stockers, and Burlys. The 444s are are a big improvement over stock and don't even compare to the Burly's for comfort. Im 200 and my chick is 170. I leave them really soft for solo and about 3/4 of the firmest setting when I go 2 up. And the hand adjustability is really nice.
Good to know. My Ricors were difficult to adjust unless on the lift. Did you get standard 12" shock?
Think I just made up my mind.

Last edited by boro; 11-23-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added a ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanting new rear shocks