Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 04:30 PM
okbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on paint jobs

My 03 WG has two tone paint and I'm told its not factory or at least not the upper half of the tank and parts of the fenders. I'm also told that the stripe on the anniversary models can't be replaced, not sure if this is correct or not. The lower half of the tank is dark blue and the upper half is sorta cream colored. If I was to re-paint the tank and fenders, can I get the original H-D stripe to replace it? Also, whats the average price for a decent one color paint job on a tank and two fenders? Seen a few advertised but were really pricey. This is a daily driver, not a show bike so a $2000. paint job ain't gonna happen. Thanks

Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM
okbill
Cruiser

Looks like I'm on my own on this one!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by okbill
My 03 WG has two tone paint and I'm told its not factory or at least not the upper half of the tank and parts of the fenders. I'm also told that the stripe on the anniversary models can't be replaced, not sure if this is correct or not. The lower half of the tank is dark blue and the upper half is sorta cream colored. If I was to re-paint the tank and fenders, can I get the original H-D stripe to replace it? Also, whats the average price for a decent one color paint job on a tank and two fenders? Seen a few advertised but were really pricey. This is a daily driver, not a show bike so a $2000. paint job ain't gonna happen. Thanks
I think without photos it's pretty difficult to understand what you are asking. I have seen the 100th Anniversary Cream over Blue paint scheme you are speaking of and yes there is a silver grey silver strip that runs between the cream and blue on the tank. In addition there is a silver stripe between the colors on both fenders. In general any paint scheme can be duplicated so if you have a photo of the HD stripe you have in mind just take it to your painter and ask them to replicate it. The paints are available from www.colorrite.com

BTW a quick search I found this site http://killer-decals.com/Motorcycle/...niversary.html
They carry the decals you want.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 11-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you take the tank fenders and any other paintable parts to a reputable body shop they can paint it for you. If you purchase HD paint from a dealer be prepared to pay out the wazzuu for the cans of paint. I would go to Dupont brand paint as they can get you super close on the color and the paint shop can paint the strip of configuration that you desire. Somewhere someone has come up with MC paint jobs cost 2 grand and made people believe they are worth 2 grand. I believe i would have to paint my own with a rattle can if the only price I could find was 2 grand.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect that you will find wide fluxuations in the cost of a paint job. There are so many variables that just asking for the cost of a one color paint job on the tank and fenders doesn't provide enough details.

That said, for a price point to add to your data set, I just paid $800 for a single color painting of my tank and fenders. The work was done by an independant auto/moto paint only shop, not a full scale body shop. I provided the fenders and tank, already removed from the bike (tank drained, etc.). There was no pinstriping required.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the above is correct. To see decent prices and decent paint check out the colormania website. Obviously, the more you want beyond a single color, the more it will cost.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM
okbill
Cruiser

I figured if I had a off color remark you guys would chime in and it worked!! My vin numbers say my bike should be all blue, but "IF" it is a paint job, whom ever did it was pretty good as you can't feel and lines between the colors. My stripe says Harley Davidson in little tiny letter so small if you aren't up close, you don't even notice it. The dealership told me they can't be replaced and I figure its probably BS but ??? Maybe I do need somemore research. Thanks anyway for the info and the leads on replacement stripes.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:10 PM
okbill
Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys, decals look the same!!

Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Im getting my WG painted soon and I can get a perfect 1 color $5-$600 if I remove the tins..

Old 11-24-2013, 06:59 PM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid 2K for my paint but the tank required extensive body work and the paint job was Ford's Kona Blue Metallic. Then the guy extracted some of the pearl from the paint and created Ghost flames. It is an awesome custom paint job and well worth the $$$$. You should never pay that much for a simple 2 tone paint job on a set of tins. For pete's sake you can get an entire pickup painted for that much.

Quick Reply: Questions on paint jobs