Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which fairing ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Reaper7534
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which fairing ?

Have a 2013 FXDC with a 7" Fatboy headlight on it. I want to add a batwing fairing on it, but need to know which one and what mounting hardware I would need, I'd like it to be quick detachable. Only plan to use on long rides and cold weather.

Appreciate any help

Tim

Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 PM
stewbeezer
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing use Fairing #2330-0017 & mounting hardware #2320-0029 (Polished) or #2320-0083 (Black).

Last edited by stewbeezer; 11-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also buy a Reckless fairing for about the same money. black gelcoat... My reckless is in my sig pic.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

I just ordered this one for my 07 SB: http://tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableFairingforDyna.html

It should be here this week and I'll post pics soon.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:07 PM
ZeroThoughts
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also using a Tsukayu Fairing but not the one for Dyna as it is suitable for smaller headlamps and i have 7" Headlamp. Recently there was a post where someone mentioned talking to them and they are modifying the Dyna Fairing for 7" Headlamp. If that is so, it would be the best solution.
I used the fairing for touring model and modified the mounting clamps to fit on the HD Quick release brackets which I had from my wingshield. Goes On & Off in minutes and does not leave anything on the forks when off.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the Memphis Shades #7011 "bagger" fairing which is designed for a 7" light. I had some custom metal
brackets made rather than using the MS ones and then fitted the Harley quick disconnect windshield clamps so
the whole assembly goes on and off in seconds.

Others have used the standard MS brackets and adapted them to use the HD clamps which provide a much
cleaner installation than the MS clamps.

I use a 14" Clearview "recurved"windscreen that I look through rather than over. Despite "common wisdom",
looking through rather than over works fine in all weather conditions except freezing rain, (and in those
conditions I ain't riding.. ), and also offers more weather protection in the high winds that are common in
the Southwest.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FXRT fairings look pretty cool on the late FXD's

Joe

DEFAB

Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
I used the Memphis Shades #7011 "bagger" fairing which is designed for a 7" light. I had some custom metal
brackets made rather than using the MS ones and then fitted the Harley quick disconnect windshield clamps so
the whole assembly goes on and off in seconds.

Others have used the standard MS brackets and adapted them to use the HD clamps which provide a much
cleaner installation than the MS clamps.

I use a 14" Clearview "recurved"windscreen that I look through rather than over. Despite "common wisdom",
looking through rather than over works fine in all weather conditions except freezing rain, (and in those
conditions I ain't riding.. ), and also offers more weather protection in the high winds that are common in
the Southwest.

Nice looking set up Mike. Do your MS lowers come into contact with your engine guard when turning the handle bars lock to lock? Mine did and I had to fab some extentions to clear it.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff's 1st Harley
Nice looking set up Mike. Do your MS lowers come into contact with your engine guard when turning the handle bars lock to lock? Mine did and I had to fab some extentions to clear it.
No, the way I have them adjusted they are well clear of the engine guards, but I have a fork brace
(Superbrace) and I had to radius the inner bottom edges so that they clear the mounting clamps.
Not a big deal, but something to think about.

I'm going to get the clear fairing lower deflectors and install them this winter. If they work well enough, I'll
probably ditch the fork mounted ones.

But remember TANSTAAFL... There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch... this type of fairing does increase
drag; especially with the tall windshield.

Out here in the Wild Wild West, range can be an issue as once you're off the main highways gas stations
can be very far apart and it's worth noting that the set up I have is pretty high drag which not only reduces
the top speed to about 110mph, but also lowers fuel mileage at high cruising speeds.

80-85mph cruising speeds are very common out here even for little old ladies in econo-boxes, and at 80-85
I get just over 40mpg. At 60-65 I get 45+ so I can easily gain or lose 30 miles of range based on the speed
I choose to run. In more populated areas, I run at whatever speed is comfortable without worrying about it,
but in some real desert boondocks I'll throttle back to increase range. I normally plan on about 150-160 miles
between stops, but last summer I misjudged one segment and was down to about 1/2 gallon remaining when I
found a station.

This is a better view of my typical long-distance load-out and you can see that I'm about as streamlined
as a barn door.

I'm very satisfied with my setup for my needs, but it's something to consider if you plan on really long rides..

HTH