Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FXDWGI Primary Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2006 FXDWGI Primary Chain Tensioner

I am in the process of tearing my primary down to address the compensator cup and the IBP before they go (and treating myself to a nice chrome inner primary) and I want to know what primary chain tensioner I should be looking at. There seems to be 2 schools of thought...
Screaming Eagle or Hayden. As a footnote... my bike has that stock factory ratcheting automatic chain tensioner on it already.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Tuffstang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine with the updated 2007 HD part (B). It too is the auto ratcheting type but thicker. Look at the 06 version vs the 07 updated and you see why it's been updated. The 06 has a thin backbone that flexes and bends. The new updated 07 tensioner has a much thicker backbone and possibly thicker teeth. I'm not sure about the SE tensioner, never looked into it. I like to keep the price down and simplify the job with a clear direction. Doesn't Hayen make the stock HD tensioner?

Last edited by Tuffstang; 11-25-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Not to complicate things, but Baker makes one too that a lot of people have opted for:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...with-pics.html

Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Not to complicate things, but Baker makes one too that a lot of people have opted for:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...with-pics.html
I looked at the Baker version but its a manual adjust. I would like to stick with an auto adjust. My bike is totally stock with the exception of pipes, air cleaner and a map.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

The SE is manual adjust as well. Your options for mostly maintenance free are the newer version stock auto tensioner, or the Hayden M6.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:36 AM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Went with the SE version because it is manual. When I changed it over the bike had just been ridden 50 or 60 miles and was plenty warm. Drained the fluid and found out I had no new fluid. Down to dealer to get some, get back pull primary and check chain tension, just curious. Warm chain only had 1/2 to 9/16 inch slack. Knew right then auto adjust was not the way for me.

After install went for ride and was much smoother with less vibration, bike just feels better. Primary has to be removed to adjust but no big thing to me.

I just think HD knows their auto adjust runs the chain to tight and by offering a manual adjuster its their way of saying OOPS.

Anyway, good luck with yours.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by byrdman.45
Went with the SE version because it is manual. When I changed it over the bike had just been ridden 50 or 60 miles and was plenty warm. Drained the fluid and found out I had no new fluid. Down to dealer to get some, get back pull primary and check chain tension, just curious. Warm chain only had 1/2 to 9/16 inch slack. Knew right then auto adjust was not the way for me.

After install went for ride and was much smoother with less vibration, bike just feels better. Primary has to be removed to adjust but no big thing to me.

I just think HD knows their auto adjust runs the chain to tight and by offering a manual adjuster its their way of saying OOPS.

Anyway, good luck with yours.
Did you check out the Hayden tensioner? I didn't know the SE version was manual. I guess my choices will be between the Hayden and the newer 2007 version. I definitely want an auto tensioner.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the M6 after having to change out my tranny mainshaft bearing for a torn up cage...which is teflon.

It will auto tension, but also allows it to back off instead of holding too tight like the ratcheting one. It uses springs for tension:

Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Image with MASCMAN. I too chewed up my trans bearing which is the reason I switched. The OE tensioner can't release once it tightens.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

With the Hayden tensioner, what happens during decel, when all the tension moves to the bottom of the chain? There's nothing locking the tensioner in place.

Quick Reply: 2006 FXDWGI Primary Chain Tensioner