Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 StreetBob Brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Pin it
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 StreetBob Brake lights not working

I just relocated my license plate down to the swing arm and now the brake light will not come on. I had the battery disconnected when I did this. Hooked everything back up and worked. Took it for a ride and now they won't come on when I hit the brakes. Double checked everything, thing only has 3 fuses and there good. Any ideas?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm assuming you originally had the tag in the stock side mount and that you had to pull the tag wire out through the TS stalk.

If so, it is exactly like my 2013 model (should be.)

So, the tag wire runs all the way to the connection under the seat and is in no way connected to the TS harness, but, you probably disconnected the left TS connectorso you could separate the TS housing from the tag-mount.

Assuming you didn't cut the TS harness, the fault is probably in one of the pins in:
1) The mail end of the TS connector under the seat.
Or
2) The connector inside the back the TS reflector

Both are Molex style connections that can be disassembled and reassembled easily if you know how to get them apart. (I'll find a YouTube link for you.)

If you cut and spliced the wires, the fault is likely in the splice.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Pin it
Novice

I disassembled the connectors as you described when I originally did it. I just check everything again and still not working. Turn signals, running lights, and hazards work fine just no brake lights.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:08 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

OK. Some dumb questions just to rule out stuff.

Are any wires spliced in the TS harnesses?
Did you try both front and rear brakes? ( just to rule out a switch as the problem.)

Are the bulbs the same as before the tag-light change?
If the are stock, check that both filaments are good and not burned. It's really odd for both brake lights to fail at once because they have separate harnesses up to the BCM.

So, assuming no splices and proper pin connections, here are my next few guesses.
1) Possibly blown filaments in the high intensity side of your bulbs. This could be caused by a surge or short in the brake-light only, high-intensity circuit.
2) Is it possible that the brake lights are stuck on? The TS and run function would work and appear normal, but they would be brighter and you wouldn't get a second, brighter intensity (I know, stupid question, but you would be surprised how easy it is to overlook this.) You can check this by making sure only one filament is lit in your bulbs.
3) Possibly your BCM module has failed. In this case, you should get some sort of code in your odometer window. See your manual for pulling up the codes.

One final test. Pull the main fuse. If you have an alarm, pull the fuse while the ignition is ON to disable the alarm.
Leave it out for a minute or more.
Once the fuse is out, put the ignition in the OFF position and reinstall the fuse.

Last edited by SLV; 11-30-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Did you relocate the brake lights also? Or just the plate and the plate light? I am also think the same thing as SLV's #2 comment in his last post, maybe the are always on, this could be due to a stuck switch or broken switch on the hand lever.

Also, if you only messed with the two wires that are for the plate light and didn't make any changes to the wiring in the tail lights, you might be able to get the dealership to warranty the repair....just a thought.

Last edited by blueangel73; 12-02-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Did you relocate the brake lights also? Or just the plate and the plate light? I am also think the same thing as SLV's #2 comment in his last post, maybe the are always on, this could be due to a stuck switch or broken switch on the hand lever.

Also, if you only messed with the two wires that are for the plate light and didn't make any changes to the wiring in the tail lights, you might be able to get the dealership to warranty the repair....just a thought.
Yeah, it sounds like a stupid question, but I only ask out of experience.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Pin it
Novice

I went through your list SLV. Everything checks out good. The only thing I removed was the tag light plate and harness. I plugged it back in today and re-installed the battery and still no brake lights with the lever or foot pedal. Hazards and turn signals work fine. I checked the codes and the only one coming up is b2161 and gives pn# 69994-12A. I don't know what the hell is the matter. Guess I'm going to have to drag it back to the dealer. I was also going to delete the turn signals off the handlebars completely, but with all the trouble a simple tag plate relocate is causing......Not too sure about this new scooter.....

Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Pin it
Novice

Blueangel- I just removed the tag plate and light. Everything else is stock.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:08 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pin it
I went through your list SLV. Everything checks out good. The only thing I removed was the tag light plate and harness. I plugged it back in today and re-installed the battery and still no brake lights with the lever or foot pedal. Hazards and turn signals work fine. I checked the codes and the only one coming up is b2161 and gives pn# 69994-12A. I don't know what the hell is the matter. Guess I'm going to have to drag it back to the dealer. I was also going to delete the turn signals off the handlebars completely, but with all the trouble a simple tag plate relocate is causing......Not too sure about this new scooter.....
Man, it's too bad we didn't get to it. Typically stuff like this leads back to something we do during a mod. In this case though, your problem is the BCM (Body Control Module.). The part number you provided is the BCM

I don't have a list of codes, but I'll bet it is a BCM failure.

It should absolutely be a warranty item; don't take any crap about the tag relocation. It's pretty hard for you or me to screw up a BCM.

Quick Reply: '14 StreetBob Brake lights not working