Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2010 Wide Glide Progression

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM
zmotorsports
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2010 Wide Glide Progression

I don't know it this is where to post up build thread but I thought I would throw up some pics of my 2010 Dyna Wide Glide from the time I purchased it May 2011 to now.

I bought it used on Mother's Day weekend (boy do I have a great wife) of 2011. The previous owner was trading it in on a new Street Glide and I just happened to be in the dealership looking for a Wide Glide. Within about an hour I had negotiated the deal and was the proud new owner of a clean virgin Wide Glide with only 3700 miles on it. It was the Red Hot Sunglo color which I love not only because this color really pops in the sun but also because I don't see many in my area with this color.

I brought it home and began to make it my own. First order of business was to get it on the lift and swap out the handlebars for a set of LA Chopper V-drag bars that I had kicking around for just this very project. I also bought a SE Heavy Breather intake which I installed and swapped over all of my controls/mirrors/footpegs from my 2001 Sportster XL1200 in which was now going up for sale.

Cover up the tank to avoid any scratches.

New bars resting on top of the OEM ones as I was transferring wiring/controls.

Bar installation complete.

Completed and rolled out of the shop for its mayden ride.

Next order of business was a seat that was a little more comfortable for the wife yet not detract from the lines and style of the Wide Glide. After much debate and research I went with the Sport Tour from C&C Seats.

I really do NOT care for the looks of saddle bags on a bike but the wife and I started taking slightly longer rides and needed a place for some storage. I went with a set of Leather Pros detachable bags that when removed leave very little evidence of ever having bags on it.

Only two small studs are visible with the bags removed for normal riding.

I fabricated a wall mount to hang the saddlebags on so they wouldn't get scratched.

Painted and hanging on the wall in the garage next to the mount to hang the windshield.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 AM
zmotorsports
Cruiser

I rode it that way for pretty much a year until I saved up for phase II.

I installed a set of Vance & Hines dual big radius chrome pipes and a set of Progressive 444 rear shocks.

On the lift removing the pipes.

Off with the old. Pipes removed.

Almost done with the pipes.

Completed and rolled outside. In the background is our 2004 Ultra Classic in which the wife and I just purchased in Feb. of 2013 and I began building up. Behind that is my son's 2008 Buell XB9 Lightening that he purchased right out of high school and was riding up until this past spring when he sold it and bough a new 2012 Street Bob.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:46 AM
zmotorsports
Cruiser

Most of 2013 was spend working on friends bikes as well as a couple that I flipped to fund the buildup of our 2004 Ultra Classic in which I upped from 88 cubic inches to 95 and a lot of chrome and cosmetic changes.

I also wanted to save up for some more custom mods on the Dyna. I generally just use the Dyna for back and forth to work and rides when it is just me and my son as my wife MUCH prefers the comfort of the Ultra when she rides with me.

Fast forward to this past week when I tore the Wide Glide down for some more upgrades plus some general preventive maintenance/routine service. It was due for all fluids to be changed and my wife gave me a chrome primary for Christmas. This was the beginning of phase III of the Dyna buildup.

My son just finished up another semester of college and has been itching to work on his Street Bob and perform the 1000 mile service. I promised him I would set aside the holidays so we could work on our bikes in the shop and get them ready for the next riding season. He was working on his bike on one lift and I started tearing in to my Wide Glide on the other. All in all the past week has been absolutely fantastic working in the shop side by side with my son.

I stripped off the headlight, battery cover, ignition/electrical cover and the derby cover for paint. Wet sanded them and primed them with PPG DP48 white epoxy primer/sealer. It was a pain in the *** to paint this time of year in Utah. I had to wait for a day when the temps were at least above freezing outside.

I would warm the parts slightly with a heat gun and then hurry and move them outside, shoot a coat on, hurry and move them back into the warm shop and get them ready for the next coat. What a pain and I really didn't want to screw up the expensive paint. I think that Red Hot Sunglo was hands down THE most expensive paint I have ever purchased in my life.

Here are the peices after a coat of DP48 sealer applied.

Friday after work I ran home and while the sun was out hurried and applied three coats of DBC Red Hot Sunglo and three coats of DC2020 Clearcoat in the same manner as the sealer, heat with gun, run outside and paint, bring back into the warm shop. Repeat multiple times.

Painted/cleared parts.

Yesterday morning after the paint was dry I set them on the bench next to some of the chrome parts for the bike.

My son wants to set his Street Bob up for some passenger riding, I guess for some hottie who wants a ride, so he installed my old pillion and seat from my Wide Glide as well as needing passenger footpegs. I bought some chrome brackets for my bike and gave him my black textured ones.

Prior to installing the chrome passenger footpeg brackets I dug out my assortment of stainless steel fasteners.

Once I established which fasteners I needed, I proceeded to put a polish to the heads of them. I use a small 3" orbital buffer, white wool buffing wheel and some Busch's Stainless Steel and Chrome polish. It makes short work of polishing the heads of the bolts and it a hell of a lot cheaper than purchasing stainless steel fasteners that are already polished.

Polished and ready for installation.

Right passenger footpeg/bracket installed with polished stainless steel fasteners.

Chrome primary cover unwrapped, cleaned and ready for installation.

Outer primary cover installed and torqued in place. I also installed the derby cover with just one fastener to see what it will look like when completed.

Next up will be to cut and buff the painted parts and then I can install them for the final time.

Mike.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Yeah i went with the red hot sunglo just like you man for the same very reason, it pops in the sun alrights, and also i really dig the mix of chrome, red and black

Enjoying the right up

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Very nice bikes and a nice write up!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM
zmotorsports
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I am getting excited to complete the Dyna and for the weather to break so I can get some rides in.

Mike.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking good so far man! My dad and I are always working on our bikes together as well. Good stuff. I have that same paint for my Wide Glide and I am in complete awe of how it pops in the sunlight.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 AM
zmotorsports
Cruiser

Well last night after work I was able to get my tins color sanded and buffed.

They were pretty flat already so I went straight to the 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sanded the pieces. I then hit them with the 3M Microfinishing compound, then 3M Finesse-It both using 3" wool buffing pads and then breathed over the pieces with 3M Imperial Machine Glaze using a 3" foam pad. I didn't think there was any sense in busting out my large buffer so my little CP 3" mini buffer got the task.

Here are the parts after color sanding.

Here are the parts after cutting and buffing to a flat mirror finish ready for installation.

Tins and chrome assembled on the bike. A few more pieces is all that is left and the bike is done for this years riding season. Looks much better tying the color of the bike into the component covers vs. just having them painted black.

All that is left to do.

I hope to have it completely finished up by the weekend if I can find time to get out into the shop. I will then pull our Ultra Classic into the shop and get it serviced and ready for the riding season.

Mike.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking damn good!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:49 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice job!! Love the color matched pieces. Is that a rattle can or do you have a real paint setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 2010 Wide Glide Progression