Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner primary sealing bolts.. loctite or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:19 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default inner primary sealing bolts.. loctite or not?

On my 2006 Dyna I replaced the gaskets in my 5 inner primary sealing bolts with Genuine James orange gaskets. The service manual and the clymer manual both state nothing about using any type of loctite. They state to apply primary oil to the gaskets prior to installing the bolts (so that the gaskets don't bind up when I am torquing down the bolts. I noticed that the bolts I removed they have remnants of some type of loctite product on the threads. Its orange and near the end of the bolts. Every bolt has it. Looks to me like some kind of loctite product. So... for anybody hear that has done this before... loctite or not and if so... which one?
Like I said.. the service manual doesn't say anything about loctite but I am thinking that maybe the bolts come from the factory with some kind of loctite product already applied to them.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Per my 2012 HD SM and having been there, you replace those bolts with new ones. What does your SM say specifically about the bolts?

Like when the SM has you pulling them out, it does not say discard?

Last edited by HD Pilot; 12-24-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Steel bolts into aluminum. Blue loctite and torque to speck with new bolts.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:09 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Per my 2012 HD SM and having been there, you replace those bolts with new ones. What does your SM say specifically about the bolts?

Like when the SM has you pulling them out, it does not say discard?
It says to discard but that is because they have gaskets in them. I replaced the gaskets with james gaskets. The bolts are in perfect condition. Bike only has 7800 miles on it.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:10 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by soft 02
Steel bolts into aluminum. Blue loctite and torque to speck with new bolts.
Thanks bro. Thats what i thought.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blue will do

Old 12-26-2013, 08:36 AM
jgcable
Road Master

So I already bought the Genuine James orange gaskets for my 5 inner primary sealing bolts. This is the first time these bolts have been removed from the bike. They look brand new. I would like to put the bike together today but now I am questioning whether or not I should have replaced the bolts and not just the seals for them. I will have to order the bolts and wait for them to come in. There are no local HD dealers near me and even the ones that are an hour away have to order them for me.
My thoughts were the factory wants the bolts replaced because they have seals in them and if I replaced the seals I would be good to go. Its not like they are torqued that tight. Its steel bolts going into threaded aluminum. If its a must to replace them I will just have to wait. Please let me know.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

If your kit has the seals for the bolts go for it. Was just another way for HD to get $$$. No way those bolts stretch cause of the torque.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I've never seen a downside to using blue loctite on fasteners, even if it's not necessary, so I'd go ahead and use it. An exception might be really weak socket-head fasteners, where the head can strip out, and fasteners which are designed to be turned with the fingers.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

they are new bolts they should come wtih pre set up loctite on the end of the bolt if not use some blue but most new ones i have see already have it on there, use new do not re use these i have had to tear into many of a customer inner to replace them when they re used and got leaks

Quick Reply: inner primary sealing bolts.. loctite or not?