Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 AM
stbob07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump.

So don't know where to start. When I hit the on/off switch the fuel pump primes. Engine icon lights up. Bike fires right up. Been running into a problem lately. Switch on, engine icon lights up, but no priming from the fuel pump. Bike wouldn't start. Keep playing around with it. Take out the key, mess with the on/off few times and pump primes and starts right up. Not sure where to start looking for a problem. Haven't done any mods in a year or so. Everything seems to be getting power. Maybe a loose wire. Idk. all opinions appreciated.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Your run/stop switch needs to be replaced.

You stated that it won't prime, you turn off the key, play with the switch, turn the key and it primes and runs.

Mine was replaced under warranty, but mine was stuck in the on position and would not turn the bike off.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 12-25-2013, 02:54 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...or get a carbed bike. Y' know, the real deal.

Just kidding, Gommee's advice sounds good enough, it might be the handlebar switch that has gone bad.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:25 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can clean the contact on the on/off switch,, using a eletrical contact cleaner. ill would put heaps off towels or cover the bike , open up the switch block and give a clean spray...

Old 12-25-2013, 07:24 AM
03geetee
Cruiser

Check also to see if this pump has a fuse or relay in the black box on the left of your seat. These bikes shake alot so stuff like this can rattle a little loose or need replacing.

Just a thought.

JTR

Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 AM
indyfjr
6th Gear

+1 on the relay under the seat.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:38 AM
stbob07
Cruiser

Don't think it the switch. When I put in the on position the engine icon lights up. Everything does as it should except for the fuel pump. Don't know. I'll have to rip into it and look for a loose wire or something

Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Open the fuse cover and pull and clean your fuses and relays...they are probably corroded anyway so it won't hurt to do that.

Sometimes that is all it takes.

I would also check the connector on your ignition coil.

My bike was doing some funky things and acting up...eventually the ECM was the problem. It got to the point that it would't start so I replaced it with the Thundermax setup which was good and bad for me.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I will add that my bike always seemed to run funny from the factory. It had a miss to it at times.

I was able to tune it out with a Power Commander and custom map, but when I went to a Cobra system that relied on the stock ECM map to make adjustments the problem was back again. The Cobra works fine on my brother's bike so I know that it wasn't the problem.

I hope you find the fix, because I went through hell trying to diagnose my problem with tracing wires, changing fuel injectors (I had the old ones that needed replaced with the new style anyway) and most of the sensors.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:26 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Have you removed the gas tank, seat or bars ?
It is possible that a connector is loose.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump.