Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will only start in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Will only start in Neutral

I am installing Aberon adjustable levers. The brake lever went fine, but the shift lever installation has resulted in only able to start in neutral despite various cable adjustment.

Still not to sure. I got the lever adjusted and not to bad, but the bike will not start unless in Neutral. It goes into neutral quite easily. Trust me I tried all the possible settings and adjustments of the clutch cable.

I used to like to stop at a long street light and turn off engine, but leave in gear so I could fast start. I then put in clutch and it started. Now I can only start in neutral . Will not start while in gear, unless I re adjust the lever to all the way out( setting 5) . This negates why I bought it . There seems to be at least a narrow window that works the neutral switch, but will not start with the clutch lever pulled all the way in.

I am hoping some members could help. Did I screw something up? Is there another adjustment to let the bike start while in gear.

Roger

Old 01-06-2014, 02:58 AM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me as if the lever simply wont release the clutch enough. However adjusting that particular lever is some thing i know nothing about. Have you measured the movement on the clutch it self to see if it does indeed release in the primary.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you problem is the lever. pull it off and you will see why. you could adjust the cable for the rest off your life and it wont do ****.. They say the lever will fit all years models Total bullshit . on your standard lever is a tab that will let you start in gear your new lever has not got the tab to make the safety switch work, either get used too it or re wire the safety switch

Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Loopie is right.

Either the new lever is missing the clutch interlock switch tab or you didn't know the switch was there during install and you damaged it. In either case, the bike will only start in neutral. Look inside the clutch perch when the lever is near the bars; you should see a rubber covered switch. There's your trouble.

Or, you could adjust the clutch cable until the friction plates burn up. But it still wont start in gear

Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Sounds to me that the lever isn't compatible and not pressing your safety neutral switch... like loopie says... As i recal the only bike you can only start in Neutral is a Suzuki...I may be wrong but it's the only metric i ever owned that did that.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a TL1000S and it would start in gear. I never really did it, but I could if I felt like it.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:48 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is not a good idea to start in gear - ever.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
It is not a good idea to start in gear - ever.
Unless you need to make a quick getaway.... LOL

Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I installed the Oberon clutch lever but before I bought it I asked if it would be compatible with the clutch safety switch. I was told that it would be fine except maybe when the lever was adjusted all the way in, closest to the grip. I needed the adjustment all the way in and when I installed the lever it did just as I was told. Due to a problem with my hand it was more important to get the adjustment right than be able to start in gear. So, the lever worked as described to me.
It probably goes back to when my bikes were kick start and I just got into the habit of starting in neutral, but to this day I never start the bike in gear. Just don't think it's a good practice.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

it is the lever as stated above the stock one has a tab to engage the clutch compressed button on the perch, the new lever does not, so the bike thinks it is in gear and will not fire

Quick Reply: Will only start in Neutral