Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Shortshots Loudness Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM
GP_Pirate
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Shortshots Loudness Question

Hello all -

I have a 2006 Street Bob that currently has Cycle Shack slip-ons. I love the looks of V&H Shortshots and am considering getting some. My question is how much louder will they be than the slip-ons? I really don't want to go too much louder due to neighbor issues, as well as comfort when riding. Should I add the Quiet Baffles and will they make much of a difference? I know I could try the Shortshots without the baffles, but my understanding is that it is much easier to install the baffles before the pipes are on so I would prefer to do it all at once.

Your advice is most welcome.
thanks
Glenn

Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

If you go to YouTube and search V&H short shots - you will find a lot of videos with sound bites - also the V&H website has sound bites as well when you click on the pipes you are looking for (lower right corner).
Note that each soundbite will sound slightly different due to how they were recorded and the speakers your are listening to them on.
On paper, the Short Shots will defiantly be louder (I've read obnoxious loud from several other posters) and quiet baffles are quoted to only drop the db's by 2-3 and will tend to deepen the sound some.
Many posters have been disappointed with the HP output on the short shots.
Best with your final decision

Last edited by JMC22; 01-19-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

They'll probably be louder, but not sure as I have not ever used slip ons. I installed Big City Thunder baffles and that did make them a bit louder and deeper tone. But enjoy a performance increase as well. You do need to have pipes off to change out baffles. I like louder pipes though.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
They'll probably be louder, but not sure as I have not ever used slip ons. I installed Big City Thunder baffles and that did make them a bit louder and deeper tone. But enjoy a performance increase as well. You do need to have pipes off to change out baffles. I like louder pipes though.
I put in the BCT baffles as well. I live in the sticks so neighbors don't matter.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 AM
CBRTRX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

From my personal expierence with both setups the short shots were about as loud as the cycle shacks while cruising and wide open throttle but they had a deeper tone, at lower rpms and idle the short shots were a little louder.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It is louder for sure!
I first installed them with stock baffles, love the sound coz I like it loud. After a while I replaced the baffles with BCT, sound very deep and I didn't like the decel vibration, it is annoying. Then I modified the stock baffles, now I have half stock and half BCT, happy with the sound.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-and-pics.html

Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Humm way to raspy for my taste.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM
CNTLOSE
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are very loud...probably one of the loudest pipes you can get. I believe they sell quiet baffles for them, but I never used them. I liked them, but I never went on a trip longer than a couple hours with them. On a longer ride with no helmet they might drive you insane.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:42 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had them on my last bike, super loud, obnoxious loud, no performance.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider the big shots..one of the best performing 2-2 pipes made. They are alomist as loud but they dump out past your ears so it won't hurt as bad.

The short shots are one of the worst performing pipes out there and they dump out right into your ears. Your ears will be ringing after an hour of riding.

Quick Reply: V&H Shortshots Loudness Question