Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to make myself like these Apes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM
override
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Trying to make myself like these Apes...

I recently picked up a set of Road6Customs 10" Holley Rollers in raw and had them chromed at the truck shop down the road. I finally got around to putting these bars on day before yesterday. My first thoughts after getting the bars on is they looked good, the bike feels way more touchy in turns and evasive maneuvers.

The only thing is they felt to small during my first ride, after I got home I started looking at them from all angles and now have determined the bars just seem to small for the bike (Narrow in particular) and look funny sitting on top of the 49mm forks.

So I am looking for some opinions from you guys, is it me or do they look kinda goofy, like maybe they should be on sportster front end?

I am considering selling these off here on the forums and am now looking at either Todd's Cycle strip bars or Carlini Evil Apes, I also really like the Demon Cycles El Diablo apes but after seeing so much negative about that company I won't order from them. Don't think I would want to go over 10" on the bars so that makes my options smaller, I am a short guy.

Last edited by override; 01-23-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

I just got Carlini Gangster Apes 12". I think they will be OK for me, I'm 5-7.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 PM
override
Tourer

Are the Carlini apes knurled? That is one thing I don't like about them, $350 for a set of bars that aren't even knurled. I'd rather just pay the $150 for another set of Road6customs wide bottom bars, only thing is I think those would look kind goofy too.

Anyone have a set of Road6customs wide bottom bars mounted?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I like my Santee Bonanza II narrows. Their wides are wider than the mid glide trees and only look good on the wide glides. The narrows are perfect for our trees IMO. $120 brand new for the talls like mine. You could always try to tilt your bars forward more and see fit hat changes it.

As for height with the anger grips. I'm 6'0 so here's a reference.

Last edited by JaronB; 01-23-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 PM
override
Tourer

I've looked at those bonanza bars before and I like em, do they have a US dealer?

I tried tilting them forward but then I was nearly fully stretched out. I think what I've come to determine is the narrow bars just don't flare out enough at the top, they stay pretty much straight to the top.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star

I just got Carlini Gangster Apes 12". I think they will be OK for me, I'm 5-7.
I'm a fan of that Carlini "inner curve" on their handlebars

Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by override
Are the Carlini apes knurled? That is one thing I don't like about them, $350 for a set of bars that aren't even knurled. I'd rather just pay the $150 for another set of Road6customs wide bottom bars, only thing is I think those would look kind goofy too.

Anyone have a set of Road6customs wide bottom bars mounted?
I got these right from the Carlini showroom, as BLEMS. They are knurled.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

On my Road King, I got a set of Yaffe Monkey Bars. These work well for me - rode to Sturgis and back, no problems.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you...they just don't look right on your bike IMO.
Just giving you confirmation that I see it the same way you do.

Originally Posted by override
I recently picked up a set of Road6Customs 10" Holley Rollers in raw and had them chromed at the truck shop down the road. I finally got around to putting these bars on day before yesterday. My first thoughts after getting the bars on is they looked good, the bike feels way more touchy in turns and evasive maneuvers.

The only thing is they felt to small during my first ride, after I got home I started looking at them from all angles and now have determined the bars just seem to small for the bike (Narrow in particular) and look funny sitting on top of the 49mm forks.

So I am looking for some opinions from you guys, is it me or do they look kinda goofy, like maybe they should be on sportster front end?

I am considering selling these off here on the forums and am now looking at either Todd's Cycle strip bars or Carlini Evil Apes, I also really like the Demon Cycles El Diablo apes but after seeing so much negative about that company I won't order from them. Don't think I would want to go over 10" on the bars so that makes my options smaller, I am a short guy.

Quick Reply: Trying to make myself like these Apes...