Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob first bike advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 PM
risingdust
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob first bike advice

Hey guys, I'm finally getting ready to buy my first bike, visited the dealership and loved the Street Bob. I'm a tall guy 6'4" 34inseam. I'm not sure what to do, keep mid controls and get the pullback bar for a more stable safer ride, or do forward controls and keep mini apes? I'm leaning on stability and control since I don't have riding experience and would hate to crash this great bike. Any advice? Maybe start with mids then move them later? How about the handlebars? I want to sit low on the bike so no tallboy seat for me.

Last edited by risingdust; 01-24-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mids might be a little cramped but you can always put highway pegs on it. That way you can get used to riding with your feet out before switching to forwards.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

If the dealership is worth a **** they'll get you fixed up. It's on you, take one for a ride. I would suggest you find out what it will take & how much $$$$ to go from mid controls to forwards on a Street Bob. Just my 2 cents & good luck.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 PM
CBRTRX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'4" and I had to get forwards to be comfortable, all the harleys I've owned had forwards as well.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 PM
hobojav
Advanced

At your height foward controls will definitely NOT be a problem. In fact, mid controls will probably get uncomfortable real quick. Adding hiway pegs will confuse you more than anything else in an emergency situation (transitioning back to the mid's in an emergency, you lose that split second you need to react). As far as handlebars, the stock mini apes will suit you just fine. In fact, I would go with taller apes, like 14's or 16's once you get more used to your new bike if you still go with the SB. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
risingdust
Stage II

Thanks much - do any of you guys own a Street Bob with pull backs? can you give me some pros/cons about switching to pull backs?

Last edited by risingdust; 01-24-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

slow down , first you need to take a riders safety course . are you sure you want a brand new bike as your first one ? even if its a stupid drop because missed your footing in driveway or put foot down in oil at stop sign , you will drop your first bike sooner rather than later . check insurance for first time rider on new Harley full coverage , then check liability on a 10 year old Harley . STAY SAFE

Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnydaze
slow down , first you need to take a riders safety course . are you sure you want a brand new bike as your first one ? even if its a stupid drop because missed your footing in driveway or put foot down in oil at stop sign , you will drop your first bike sooner rather than later . check insurance for first time rider on new Harley full coverage , then check liability on a 10 year old Harley . STAY SAFE
Thats what I would do as well.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:21 AM
High Desert Drifter
Advanced

Get the bike you want don't go getting paranoid if you drop and 2014 or a 2000 same difference.As for insurance never had a agent ask me how many years I've been riding.Just go slow and get used to your surroundings and at your height I would go with forwards and learn as you go.You know try some large parking lots to get familiar with the controls.Anywho welcome to the Harley world once you get the hang of it they will have to pry the handlebars from you.Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

fwds for sure, no pull backs, roll with the stock chimps then see what suits you later on

Quick Reply: Street Bob first bike advice