Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CANBUS HD Lan Help

Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 AM
FASTnLOUDfxdwg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CANBUS HD Lan Help

I posted this in electrical but also wanted to post here since the dyna section is always so helpful. Ok so some jackass decided to vandalize my bike while it was put up for storage. They cut the wiring that comes out of the frame and goes threw the bars to the handlebar controls. How can I repair the canbus wiring? I have been told that I cannot solder canbus wiring. Is there a a replacement wiring harness I can buy or will I have to replace the entire switch housing? They are $225 per housing.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:36 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I soldered mine without an issue.

You could also buy the extensions made for tall bars, take the connectors apart, and tie the cut wires to the connector.

Where did you store your bike?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

The best method is to stagger cut the remaining wires and use uninsulated butt splices covered with heat shrink tubing. You can get these and the correct crimping tool at Radio Shack. Depending on how much slack you have in the existing wiring, you may have to splice in extensions. Solder splicing will work also but it is more time consuming and not as good of a connection if you do not make a good mechanical connection by twisting the wire ends together first.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM
FASTnLOUDfxdwg
Tourer

Gonna try to solder it tommorow. It was stored in my father in laws shop. They screwed some stuff up on his 100th anniversary Electra glide also.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 AM
FASTnLOUDfxdwg
Tourer

Took the harness apart today. Soldered all the wiring back together with silver solder and heat shrinked it all. So far everything is working perfect. All switches, lights, and dash work like they should. No canbus errors, no check engine lights, and no computer codes.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTnLOUDfxdwg
Took the harness apart today. Soldered all the wiring back together with silver solder and heat shrinked it all. So far everything is working perfect. All switches, lights, and dash work like they should. No canbus errors, no check engine lights, and no computer codes.
Great news. That's pretty pathetic that someone would do that . .personal vendetta?

I need to go refresh myself on CAN-BUS, I think there's an article I have saved in AIM somewhere. I know I'll have to deal with it some day.

Matt

Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTnLOUDfxdwg
I posted this in electrical but also wanted to post here since the dyna section is always so helpful. Ok so some jackass decided to vandalize my bike while it was put up for storage. They cut the wiring that comes out of the frame and goes threw the bars to the handlebar controls. How can I repair the canbus wiring? I have been told that I cannot solder canbus wiring. Is there a a replacement wiring harness I can buy or will I have to replace the entire switch housing? They are $225 per housing.

I see no reason you can't solder.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
CursezZz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread yes but have you guys ever wired the control wires on the cna bus system to anything other than the stock wires (extending them)

Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I cut and soldered mine when I added new bars. Think we had to add to one side but used as close as I could find to same guage wiring. 4800 miles later no problems.