Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking vertical alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Checking vertical alignment

I know this topic confused me for a while but thought I'd share how to check your vertical alignment on the Dyna. The tools I bought weren't very expensive (digital level from HD, inclinometer from Amazon, roughly $50 total).

Both tools have magnetic bases which aids in this check. And the digital degrees helps to see how accurate you are (a bubble level won't really tell you much. I found when the bike wasn't perfectly level at 0.9 degrees, it threw the inclinometer reading at the rear wheel off as much as a whole degree.).

What's working behind the scenes: Your engine stabilizer link in the form of a heim joint connects the top of your engine to the frame. It is able to 'tilt' the entire engine/transmission/swingarm, and hence your rear wheel, left/right in the vertical. It's important that the rear wheel is vertical to the ground when the bike is level for proper handling. I didn't have to adjust mine so I won't get into that here, but there's videos from the Glide-Pro website showing how it's done.

First: Get the bike level. I used my J&S jack coupled with a scissor jack and a block of wood. The digital level tells you which way you have to go, so I pushed up on the left side of the bike:

This isn't the only way to adjust the levelness, but it worked for me. The seat pan/frame is a good spot to check.

Do the above in small increments until you get as close to 0 as possible:

Once you've confirmed the bike is as level as you're able to get it, take the inclinometer and attach to your rear rotor:

There's some variance in the measurements and they're pretty sensitive so for me, this is about as perfect as I can see getting it. This reading is after 20k miles and never adjusting the top stabilizer link. I was surprised it was so well adjusted from the factory.

Overview shot:

Hope this helps someone out there,
Matt

The following 2 users liked this post by mattVA:
F86 (06-25-2016), gleam (07-29-2019)
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm interesting info. I can see someone got bored out in the garage one day!
But a good discovery. I wonder if that vertical alignment has anything to do with some of the high speed wobbles while cornering...
My bike is also at 20k so hopefully its still in spec but, if I still have handling issues after my suspension upgrades, I'll have to look into this as a possible culprit.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

It's cold out with snow on the roads. . Give me a break!

While it's up on the lift its good to check rear axle alignment and belt tension as well.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting stuff....and an excuse to buy an inclinometer.

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Great write up

Should the reading on the inclinometer be 1? Is there a range for it which is acceptable

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hi,

Great write up

Should the reading on the inclinometer be 1? Is there a range for it which is acceptable

Thanks
Mirrmu
You're shooting for 90 degrees or 0 degrees depending on how you have it oriented.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for reply, its always been one service item that concerned me

Yeah thats pretty good out of the factory then,

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Does the inclinometer take the floor into consideration somehow? My garage floor isn't 100% level so, would it orient itself against the ground actually throwing off your alignment?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

I think you're not understanding. The bike is level and the rear wheel isn't on the ground. The rear wheel should be 90 degrees to the level across the seat pan.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Ah, so you align the level on the seat frame first... gotcha. Using the wood. I get it now...

Quick Reply: Checking vertical alignment