Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Super Glide Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts
Cool 2006 Super Glide Oil Change

I helped a buddy change oil on his '06 Super Glide and noticed very little oil in the filter when I removed it. Is this normal for the Dyna's? I have a 2008 Sportster Custom and a '96 Electra Glide myself and usually make a big mess when removing the filter. I was surprised of the little amount that ran out. When I turned the filter upside down there was oil in it but nothing like what I am use to seieing. I know he uses HD 20w50 oil and a -99A filter, does that make a difference?

If this is not normal to Dyna's what should we be checking and looking at? My buddy has not changed his own oil before so he had no idea if this was normal for his bike. After the oil change we fired it up and the oil light turned off in seconds, and everything sounded Ok.

I've been riding and wrenching on my own bikes since 1965 and I've never seen this little amount of oil in a filter ... but this was my first time with a Dyna.
Thanks for your help ...

Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM
parrettdl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine makes a fair mess if I don't cut a bottle open to sit under it when I remove mine...

Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master

the mess is what I am use to seeing ... but no mess on this Super Glide

Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I poke two holes in my filter and let the filter oil drain out via the filter funnel. A fair amount of oil drains out. I would say about 3-4 ounces. I then take my filter off after the oil drains out of the poked holes to help alleviate some of the mess. I run a K&N chrome filter.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Maybe the anti-drainback valve on the old filter wasn't seating properly.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ditto on the anti drainback. Providing he doesnt poke a few drain holes in the filter he should be able to make a mess next time.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

I didn't poke holes into the filter, but I didn't know about an anti-drainback either. That would explain the lack of oil in the filter when I removed it.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

I put an aftermarket filter on my bike a few years ago that either didn't have an anti drain back, or it didn't work. The lifters pounded like crazy when starting cold. As soon as I figured out what the problem was I put an HD filter on and all was good. I hate paying the cost of a Harley filter but I learnt my lesson and will only use them now.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

I've always gotten good information here ... I believe you guys hit on the problem ... faulty anti-drainback in the filter ... Thanks everyone ... be safe out there

Old 01-25-2014, 09:57 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
I didn't poke holes into the filter, but I didn't know about an anti-drainback either. That would explain the lack of oil in the filter when I removed it.
if you poke 2 holes(1 vent & 1 drain) in the face of your filter (12 & 6 O clock) and let it drain for a few minutes it will keep the oil from running out of the base and flowing down your engine.

Quick Reply: 2006 Super Glide Oil Change