Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-bolts for enging guard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:20 PM
saltpepper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-bolts for enging guard?

Ordered a new engine guard because I was notorious for dropping the goldwing, the bars saved me a boatload. as I looked at the hardware that came with them I saw these nasty looking U-bolts, I just couldnt do it.
I came up with an idea and wanted some input from you guys.
I made a template out of 1/4 plywood which will bolt where forward controls would normally bolt. its 2011 fxdc Will this work, what type of metal?

Thanks for your input

Tom

Attached Thumbnails U-bolts for enging guard?-dsc04112.jpg   U-bolts for enging guard?-dsc04114.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would use steel but that is alot of extra stuff to put on there when you can just coat the u bolts black and they will vanish. personally i think making big plates like that is just going to make a small cosmetic issue much more in your face

Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use the u bolts,, in a bad drop /accident they have a shear factor .Putting a solid plate like that would do more damage too the frame
plus its going too look ugly standing out

Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do like Joe said and just paint them black and they will disappear.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have went with the Lindby. They have a mounting plate and look nice.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I could be mistaken, but don't the bars that are designed for mid controls only bolt straight up to the forward mounts?? It seems that I saw both mounting designs for my SG when I was looking to replace mine recently but since I have forward controls, I didn't pay much attention to them...

Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
I could be mistaken, but don't the bars that are designed for mid controls only bolt straight up to the forward mounts?? It seems that I saw both mounting designs for my SG when I was looking to replace mine recently but since I have forward controls, I didn't pay much attention to them...
H-D gurards for '06 and up are the same for mids and forwards. They use the u bolts.

Sammi

Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

When I first saw the U Bolts, I too was worried about the design. They are actually quite solid. I needed the U Bolt design because I have Softail Footboard assemblies. Your adapter design looks promising and should be stronger than the U bolts, whether that is necessary or not, I don't know. I used 6061 Aluminum for the adapter plates for my footboard setup and I would recommend it for your adapters.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
H-D gurards for '06 and up are the same for mids and forwards. They use the u bolts.

Sammi
I am not intending to hijack the OP's post, but maybe you can help me with this...Do you know the difference between bars for the 2006 and on and the earlier models? I did a lot of research on this but could never find out why a later model bar with the U-bolt frame mounts would not fit on the earlier models. Even HD was no help...all they could tell me was if the part number changed, then the bars were different...but no one I talked to could tell me in what way they were different that would make them not interchangeable.

Bars for 2006 and up are more plentiful and cheaper than those listed for 2005 and below...if you can find one...and they look identical.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM
saltpepper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, alot to think about. I can cut down the size a bit so they dont look so bulky (not so squared). If I wanted to add forwards later I think they would work just by adding longer bolts. I thought about using stainless, which I have on hand.

Quick Reply: U-bolts for enging guard?