Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suspension experts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suspension experts?

I have a wide glide that I want to make some changes to. I like the bike but wished it handled a little better.

I know a few on this site have swapped the trees from a fat bob onto a wide glide to decrease the rake. Has anyone made that swap and changed the rim from a 21 to a 19 at the same time? 3° doesn't seem like a lot to me so I'm wondering if switching to a 19 would end up lowering the front (something I don't want).

If the wide glide trees are 3° of rake over the fat bob trees then swapping the trees would make the wide glide 31° instead of 34° resulting in a bike that would be just 2° more than the fat bob.

Am I heading in the right direction with my thought process? I should've bought a T sport

Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it you but the wide glide because you liked the look of the rake. right?
There s a relatively easy answer to your front end uneasyness. I hope your ready to do some reading as the post grows by pages everyday. You can do this complete mod for right aound $400 bucks and 3 or 4 hours.

Here it is, worth the long read:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-springs.html

Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The wg 21" tire is the same overall height as a 19" on the superglide, if you want it lower you can lower the front springs

Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Ya you can lower the the front end with shrter springs but I think that will make the suspension worse. Fat bob front end would make it better but if I had a wide glide I would want it to handle the best a wide glide could. The rake does look killer on that model and changing the look...well you may as well buy a different model dyna.

I think the OP could have his cake and eat it too by doing the single rate spring, the intimidators, and the amzoil fork oil.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by rooti
I take it you but the wide glide because you liked the look of the rake. right?
There s a relatively easy answer to your front end uneasyness. I hope your ready to do some reading as the post grows by pages everyday. You can do this complete mod for right aound $400 bucks and 3 or 4 hours.

Here it is, worth the long read:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-springs.html
The rake helped to make me look less of a giant on the bike. I wasn't allowed to test ride it so I didn't realize how it would handle. Looking back I really should have bought a used T sport and not cared what I looked like on the bike. I will dig into that thread and take some notes. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by ynots
The wg 21" tire is the same overall height as a 19" on the superglide, if you want it lower you can lower the front springs
Perfect. I do not want the bike lowered at all. I hate the lack of lean angle as it is. Lowering it will just make it worse. If anything I wouldn't mind raising the bike a little to try to gain more lean angle. I don't know how that will affect the handling of the bike though.

Ya you can lower the the front end with shrter springs but I think that will make the suspension worse. Fat bob front end would make it better but if I had a wide glide I would want it to handle the best a wide glide could. The rake does look killer on that model and changing the look...well you may as well buy a different model dyna.

I think the OP could have his cake and eat it too by doing the single rate spring, the intimidators, and the amzoil fork oil.
Exactly what I want to avoid.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

There are some black fat bob triple tree's in the classifieds if you decide you want to go that route. If it was my bike I would do the spring/intimidator mod and then get some quality 12.5-13" shocks. You will be surprised how that will change the lean angle and the bike will actually handle great for what it is.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

What is it you don't like about the handling?
Have you thought about lacing a wider wheel on the front, and running 130 front tire like the Breakout?

Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 PM
CB024
Road Master

There are some black fat bob triple tree's in the classifieds if you decide you want to go that route. If it was my bike I would do the spring/intimidator mod and then get some quality 12.5-13" shocks. You will be surprised how that will change the lean angle and the bike will actually handle great for what it is.
Good idea. Thanks Rooti. I think I'll look into that first. This way still retains the rake too.

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
What is it you don't like about the handling?
Have you thought about lacing a wider wheel on the front, and running 130 front tire like the Breakout?
The 2 things I hate, the lean angle (or lack there of) and the skinny front tire. Maybe if I take your idea of running a wider wheel and tire setup along with rooti's idea of front and rear suspension I will be golden.

I know this bike will never be the best handling bike on the road but anything would be better than what it currently is. If I do all the things that have been outlined here and I'm still not happy then it will be time to look for another bike.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Your right, it will never be a sport bike but it will blow you away how much better it can be. The fatter front tire and rim is a great idea too.

And, by the way, I should have never responded to the post because I am nothing close to an expert.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

OP.

Check here for good shocks at a HDForum special price. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...-offering.html.

You'll have quicker responses and accurate info if you call them.

Motorcycle Metal can also recommend a front end setup. The really good stuff is pricey.

I'm with Rooti on the Ricor/Traxxion setup. I've had mine in for a but more than a week and the bike handles so much better.

Quick Reply: Any suspension experts?