Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soldering question

Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default soldering question

Sorry, I haven't soldered anything in 45 yr. Can anyone guide me through the process and thinking, please? Relocating front turn sig on '13 Super Glide. Wires are not inside switches.

The tiny wires will have to be soldered while on the bike; my assumption is that I need to fashion some sort of platform and use a shop rag under the wire to keep solder from dropping on bike. Do you have any examples of a stable platform for this job? The instructions mention the ultra torch ut-100. Is the job much easier with an iron like this?

What options are there for heating the shrink tube that don't take a long time and are safe/easy for amateurs? Will a 1500 watt hair dryer really be adequate?

Thanks, very much for your help.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:05 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boro
Sorry, I haven't soldered anything in 45 yr. Can anyone guide me through the process and thinking, please? Relocating front turn sig on '13 Super Glide. Wires are not inside switches.

The tiny wires will have to be soldered while on the bike; my assumption is that I need to fashion some sort of platform and use a shop rag under the wire to keep solder from dropping on bike. Do you have any examples of a stable platform for this job? The instructions mention the ultra torch ut-100. Is the job much easier with an iron like this?

What options are there for heating the shrink tube that don't take a long time and are safe/easy for amateurs? Will a 1500 watt hair dryer really be adequate?

Thanks, very much for your help.

You are correct on the platform but a piece of cardboard will do. Heat shrink use a butane cig lighter.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Put the shrink wrap on first. (it's amazing how often over the years I have left it off)

Twist he wires linear with the ends pointing in separate direction and wound longwise over one another.

Put your rag under whatever you are soldering, Yes it will stick if it drips.

Using any electrical soldering iron, hold it against the wire in one spot and get the wire hot enough that when you lay the solder on the wire (not the bit of the gun) it draws into the wire. Repeat until done.

Use a longer piece of shrink-wrap than is needed.

If the wire is going to be covered from sight:
Shrink-wrap it. I use a lighter. Keep the heat moving.
Then I cover the shrink-wrap with liquid electrical tape. (great stuff)

If the joint is in sight:
Shrink-wrap it and call it good.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-29-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,895 Likes on 3,010 Posts

They sell these little torches that use butane. About 19.00. just put a damp rag under where your soldering. That moisture solidifies the soldier immediately so it doesn't get on stuff where it doesn't belong.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks, for the tips.

Last edited by boro; 01-29-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

and slide the heat tube far away from where you are soldering or it will shrink before you get it in place

Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree on the wire wrap for a mechanical joint.
Best thing I ever did for my soldering abilities was to get a butane iron, you can heat the shrink tube with it also.
There are a few good how to vids on YouTube.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

If your getting dripping from the solder your using too much. I use an inexpensive soldering 'wand' that looks like a fat pencil. That inexpensive thing has been awesome. Practice on a few wires before digging in and you'll notice how small amount of solder you need on the wires. Don't put so much on that its fatter than the thickness of the wire insulator. If you cant slide the thin piece of shrink tubing over the solder, your still too thick.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

I would use a soldering iron. Not a torch to solder your wires. Place the heat shrink on first. Use flux core solder. I also dip the wire ends in flux, it helps the solder flow where you want it quicker. Use a lineman or flat nose plier and squeeze the joint to flatten any rough solder before you slide up the heat shrink. Then I use a small BBQ lighter to shrink the tubing.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need a clean soldering iron tip to get solder to flow properly. Don't just heat up the iron and go at it.

File the tip of the iron so its shiny and immediately (before it oxidises) apply a little solder to the tip. This solder-covered tip is what you apply to heat the wires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: soldering question