Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Custom Dynamics smoked and black out tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Difference between Custom Dynamics smoked and black out tail lights?

Can someone please explain the difference between Custom Dynamics' smoked and smoked-black out tail lights? I've seen the black out tail light described as having a "black reflector." Does the non black out tail light have a shiny (chrome?) reflector?

Also, what is the practical difference? Is the black out light not as bright or does it only look darker from a side view?

Thank you.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the smoke (& no tag window).

My take was the blacked-out ones were not see through on the sides, completely black, unlike my smoke colored ones that you can see inside of them.

Attached Thumbnails Difference between Custom Dynamics smoked and black out tail lights?-photo-2.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM
jmb79
Road Master

Thanks. So, are you saying that the smoke version alows light out to side but the black out version does not? Also, is there a difference in the respective light output to the rear?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM
cmstewart72
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be facitious, but anyone answering the phone at CD can tell you. They all seem to have the products down pat. When I looked at them, it appeared that the blacked out looked like it had a gloss/painted side that reflected light like paint. I stayed with a red lay down and haven't seen the blacked in person.

FYI...CD makes a great product.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
chickenhauler
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cmstewart72
Not to be facitious, but anyone answering the phone at CD can tell you. They all seem to have the products down pat. When I looked at them, it appeared that the blacked out looked like it had a gloss/painted side that reflected light like paint. I stayed with a red lay down and haven't seen the blacked in person.

FYI...CD makes a great product.
Are you saying you can see the wiring and such in the red one you have. I haven't seen a CD light in person, but the smoke doesn't seem like I would want the inside visable.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 AM
cmstewart72
Tourer

Oh not at all. What is behind those lenses leaves no gaps where you could see wiring. The CD tailight (and signals for that matter) fill up that space with LEDs. They aren't right up against the back/inside of the light. The panel or circuit board, which is full of the lights, fills up the space so you cannot see behind it or the wiring. I "think" the blacked out tailight cancels out the light being visable from the side of that particular lens. That is how it looks anyway. Sort of like having a candle in a clear glass mug versus having one in a solid mug...you can't see through the side.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 AM
cmstewart72
Tourer

Now..because I don't know...I called them (this type of **** keeps me awake at night)....and they said that the blackout will prevent most of the light from being seen from the side of the bike. So if you were at a 90 degree angle...say...admiring the sides of your saddlebags, the light from the tail wouldn't be as visable (other than what would be shining straight back).