Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FXDW Ape install

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM
chazb
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 FXDW Ape install

I have decided to go from drag to ape, looking at Todd's strip bar 12"/1.25". I have been doing lots of research on doing the install myself, other than the crossover fuel tube, are there any other "hidden" expenses anyone could add from experience?
I have priced bars/risers,cables(Burley kit)with wire extensions, crossover, and joker fork mount signals.
Last question, with 12" bars on 2.5" riser, will I be able to put the stock mirrors under the bars?

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chazb
I have decided to go from drag to ape, looking at Todd's strip bar 12"/1.25". I have been doing lots of research on doing the install myself, other than the crossover fuel tube, are there any other "hidden" expenses anyone could add from experience?
I have priced bars/risers,cables(Burley kit)with wire extensions, crossover, and joker fork mount signals.
Last question, with 12" bars on 2.5" riser, will I be able to put the stock mirrors under the bars?

Thanks.
You wont need wire extensions. I am running the todds fat bob 18" apes and the stock wiring was long enough.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Unless you are doing a tank lift, I'm not sure why you would need a fuel crossover to change bars.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 AM
chazb
Advanced

I looked at the throttle/idle cables, and how I was going to access everything, did some reading on chaging those cable, everything was pointing to removing the tank, which lead to having to cut that hose due to it being crimped on.
Thanks for the info on the wiring, that will save a little time.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

You won't need to totally remove the tank. Actually you could get away with not even unbolting it. I only did cause I put a tank lift on mine. And also added a longer cross over line with the one that came with the kit. You won't need wire extensions either. You won't need a longer brake line. And actually may be able to use stock clutch, throttle and idle cables. If you do change them you will need a quart of trans oil and gasket for changing transmission outer cover for the clutch cable. Removing the carb cover will assist in changing the throttle and idle cables. You may wanna go with a better set of cables than Burly. Just heard some complaints with them. Check out Barnett or Magnum Shielding. Mirrors is a matter of personal preference. I like mine on top...

Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice looking scoot btw! Mine is the same model, but with custom paint. I stayed with the midnight pearl base color, but ghost flames. Where did you get those wheels? I like them...

Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM
chazb
Advanced

Very good info, thanks. I also have read things about the Burley, the only reason I was going to use them, is the complete kit. I know that I have plenty of brake line, and clutch looks ong enough too, so yeah I like the Magnum, and if I only need the throttle/idle, that will save a bundle, was looking like almost 400. for the Magnum black pearl.
So, I will order the bars first, and see what will work, what won't. I have seen some stretch jobs, don't like the look of throttle/idle shooting straight down.
Those ghost flames are nice, after all this is done, I will be looking at new paint. The wheels are HD, looking at changing them to fat spokes sometime this year....$$.
Thanks again for the info everyone.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Best thing is to wait for the bars, mock them up and measure. How much were those wheels?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
chazb
Advanced

From memory just under 300.00 each, easy to clean and kinda fit the black/chrome look I was going for, also been looking at putting a fat front tire on, I have seen some that look good.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:39 PM
gchristopher9
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You probably want to do new bushings too.

Quick Reply: 2013 FXDW Ape install