Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Flickerdart1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
Why would someone choose a Switchback over a Heritage Softail?

What factors drive the decision ?
..Basically the same thing that drives most all Harley related decisions: " I like it "!
Fat_Bob_307 gives a good description,"A lot of it will come down to how it looks"(read -what you like)............................................

Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Flickerdart1
..Basically the same thing that drives most all Harley related decisions: " I like it "!
Dude yer crackin me up here.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:21 AM
doctoraustin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 1200xlc to a switchback this year. I have loved the looks of the switchback since it came out and have just been waiting to get one. 3 months later and I could not ask for a better ALL AROUND bike. I do both long trips and ride around town a lot. My brother in law and father in law both ride Heritage Softails and the BIGGEST difference between the 2 is the vibration. The heritage has just about 0 vibration whereas the switchback does have a little bit given the different engine mounts.

As far as looks, well it just goes to what your into. Here are 2 pictures I took of each!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:35 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

as usual.. great photos from the DR..

Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I prefer the Dyna because of its simpler design, no counter balance, no external oil tank, no hidden shock, more lean angle, lighter, etc... The Dyna FXD weighs about 100 lbs less than the Heritage, Switchback about 30 less

Old 02-01-2014, 09:21 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two totally different bikes.
A better comparison would be the switchback and the road king.
Under 5"10", go switchback
Over 5'10", go road king.

I'm 6' and bought a switchback.
LOL, I f###ed up.

Seriously, the switchback is a damn good bike...it's just small and the mods you will sink into it making it comfortable for a taller rider, you could buy a cvo road king.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:02 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

I guess I am curious as to how much comfort I give up for the handling, as the anticipated use will not be primarily highways.....The point about size of rider/passenger is a good one as well. I want a bike that be comfortable for my wife (when she rides) but also be fun to ride locally....I have read that the STs don't handle well (?).

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Put on a mustang wide vintage seat and some quality shocks and you wont be giving up anything, you both could ride in comfort until your hearts are content.
If your not racking up many miles there is less expensive dynas you could throw a quick detachable windshield, & etc...

Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
I guess I am curious as to how much comfort I give up for the handling, as the anticipated use will not be primarily highways.....The point about size of rider/passenger is a good one as well. I want a bike that be comfortable for my wife (when she rides) but also be fun to ride locally....I have read that the STs don't handle well (?).
I've got a FLD and a Street Bob. The FLD is way more comfy than the Street Bob, both riding by myself and two-up. I'm 5'9" 180 and the wife is 5'8" 150 and it is very comfy for both of us. I've never rode a softtail but we've done two up on a Street Glide. Honestly my wife was more comfy on the stock FLD seat than the Street Glide seat.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the info....sounds like a Dyna is a decent compromise....that being said, This statement is intriguing...

"If your not racking up many miles there is less expensive dynas you could throw a quick detachable windshield, & etc..."

Can you please expand on that? The reason I mention it is because one of my past projects was to turn a Superlow into a 'micro RK'.....passing lights, bags, windshield, etc. I suppose though, the same could be said for a ST?

Again, thanks

Quick Reply: Switchback Question