Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
NEXUSBULL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brake Light Problems

Ok so I am sure I am missing something here but I worked on my 2007 Wide Glide, took apart the front end, put it back together and now my brake light will not illuminate. I checked the bulb and it is fine, I checked the fuses and all of them are good (minus the relays not sure how to verify if those are good or not, but nothing is outwardly wrong with them), and I checked all of my work that I did and everything was put back together in order and in place. I have been through my owners manual multiple times and am at a loss. Please for the love of God someone point me in the right direction!
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Check to see if the brake light works when the lights are on. If you reversed the hot leads that will happen. Just a quick check.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:28 AM
NEXUSBULL
Advanced

Thanks DeJavu, I ran through the wiring and it is all good. The tail light does illuminate, but the front brake lever and rear brake lever don't initiate the brake light. Blinkers work and nothing else seems to be effected.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say it must be the brake switches. Weird them both going bad at the same time, but I guess stranger things have happened on our bikes.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is that you didn't put together one of the switches properly and your brake light is actually staying on permanently. In other words, what you're thinking is your taillight is actually the brake light. That would happen if for instance you took out the tiny clip in the front switch housing.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes dissaembling the front break lever is tricky. You may need to just adjust the switch in the lever, or you may of broken it. Easy to break. Not the best design.
I was kucky when I removed mine, some are not.
I purchased a new one for about $25.00 and keep it as a spare.
You need to shim the lever upon dissasembly or risk breakage.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM
NEXUSBULL
Advanced

@Racqueteer9
When I pulled the bulb and checked it I saw only one of the coils illuminated. It was the one that was furthest out not sure which one of them is the tail light but in my mind, and tell me if I'm wrong, aren't both of them illuminated for the brake?

@stilup
I am going to pull apart the front brake lever again and check to make sure I didn't break the switch. Definitely my style to do that! I will let you guys know what I find.
Again thanks for the input.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Electrical problems can be annoying but are not all that difficult to find and fix if you do this...

Identify exactly what is happening correctly and what is not.

Retrace your steps. Start where were working. If the brake lights were working when you started on the front, then it is not logical that the problem would be in the rear unless you worked there also...the problem will most likely be in the area you were working in so, what exactly did you work on in the front?

Get a wiring diagram and trace the rear brake light circuit focusing on how what you worked on in the front could have affected the rear brake lights? If you do not have wiring diagrams, there are wiring diagrams posted on this forum, search for them.

...and always remember, Murphy's Law...

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

tell me if I'm wrong, aren't both of them illuminated for the brake
one element is for the tail light and the other is for the brake. The tail light would always be on

Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 PM
NEXUSBULL
Advanced

Ok so here is a gem I left off. I epoxied the lower fork legs while I had them disassembled. When I put the caliper back on would there be any type of "ground", that the epoxy would be interfering with?

Quick Reply: Brake Light Problems