Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you clean spokes and hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts
Default How do you clean spokes and hubs?

Rode on wet streets this past week and of course I picked up dirt on the bike. I don't mind cleaning -- actually like spending that time with the scooter but the chrome hubs are dirty and I'll be damned if I can figure how to get in there and clean them. Same with the spokes. I guess I could pressure wash and then dry with the leaf blower. Is that how you do it? bike looked mint when I bought it a month ago...

Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,053 Likes on 11,067 Posts

A spoke brush like this. But I would not pay $16 for one just because it has a HD logo.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...brush-43078-99
Harbor Freight also sells a static wheel spinner, lets you turn wheels without moving the bike.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

This might help...

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
In order to avoid sore fingers after cleaning the spokes, I made a few tools. Have fun making and using them!

1) Take a metal type coat-hanger and straighten the wire

2) Fold the two end towards each other and close the eye tight using pliers or a hammer

3)Bend the eye about 45° and solder both wires together to strengthen the tool

4) Cover the handle part using duct tape

5) Fold a piece of steel-wool together, slide it in the eye and apply a few drips of aluminum polish

6) Now you will be able to get access to every part of your spokes

7) Use a piece of cloth to finish the polish

8) You can also use an old tooth brush which is extended by using a piece of PVC pipe (as used to cover electrical wires)

Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

for cleaning the hubs, take a old leather shoestring, tie it around hub loosely but not so loose it will get caught in anything and ride around for a few hrs. It will polish it really really good!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 50/50 mixture of simple green and water and soft nylon brush to get the spokes and hubs clean. Garden hose rinse, leaf blower and finish with 100% cotton towel.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:17 PM
03geetee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spend a lot of time cleaning my bike and my friends all year long...I like everything I own clean. As a matter of fact I actually clean and wax my lawnmower once a year as pathetic as that sounds.

I can attest to your issue with cleaning the spokes as when I bought my Dyna I noticed the same neglect from the previous owner in regards to the wheels. One of the main reasons I love the SB is the spoke wheels. Dont get me wrong the bike had less then 4K on it when I bought it in 12' but just needed a special touch to make it perfect.

After the elbow grease and time of getting to all the places normal hands dont reach with steel wool/neverdull/surf city metal compound, I have found that a 50/50 mix of simple green and water every wash on the wheels and motor followed by a leaf blower dry and wipe down after a quick ride around the block have kept the spokes and hubs mint. Try this method.....

Wash the bike top to bottom with your mit on the painted and metal surfaces only first. Then use a seperate brush for the wheels and motor to dis lodge any large pieces of crap. Then rinse the bike good with clean water and apply the 50/50 mix of Simple Green. Let it sit no longer then 5-8mins and dont let it dry. Agitate the mix on the spokes and motor with a nice soft bristle brush and once done rinse with high pressure water to remove all the product. Blow dry and after a few times you will see the benefits of staying ahead of the brake dust and oxidation on your rims.

JTR

Last edited by 03geetee; 02-02-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow, thanks guys. I really appreciate your advice and especially the photos. Yeah, I keep my stuff clean. And I also spiff up the lawn mower every spring. ;- )

Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Harleyrayhawkeye
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing to get the spokes cleaned up is to take 1000 grit sandpaper. And wet sand them. And then do the shoe string and mag wheel polish. Its time consuming but what else are you going to do when there is a foot of snow on the ground and you cant ride.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Flitz mini ball and autosol hands down. My 07 wheel is still like brand new. Flitz mini gets into tight spot, great tool!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just trade my bike in for a new one when the spokes get dirty.

Quick Reply: How do you clean spokes and hubs?