Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Sportster vs '05 Dyna??

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 AM
wdonley
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default '05 Sportster vs '05 Dyna??

Hi all-
Was at the local shop to see the Guzzi Griso they got in. They also just got in an '05 Dyna Super Glide low miles on it. Stock, but for Windvest and bags. Nice, clean bike. Currently on a nicely setup '05 Sportster. Went back and test rode the Dyna. Mileage was lower then I thought. It's an '05 w/ 2,400 miles on it. In a way, that's a worry to me. Fuel injection was nice. Ran much better while warming up then mine. Does that matter? Dunno. Motor felt smoother. Less mechanical noise, and more power. Shifting was buttah. Needs some setup. The stock shocks suck! Spoiled by my Street Glide air ride setup. Position was set for a small rider. It's got the "reduced reach" seat and taller, pulled back risers. I was cramped, and I'm only 5'6". Very quiet w/ the stock mufflers. The Windvest is kinda ugly, but worked well.
Gonna see what kinda deal they'll make me tomorrow. I'd like it, but I'm not overwhelmed by the difference overall. My Sporty's set up pretty well, I realized after comparing. XLX bars. Mustang seat. Full Stage 1 mods. S/S lines. Upgraded brake pads. S/G Airshocks. HD hard bags. Hoppe batwing. Might try to swap parts over where I can, if they make me a good enough deal. They want $8200, and it's an '05. Looks like the high side. But, the low miles ridden & garaged condition mean it's super nice. ..... Any comments, please??

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,971 Likes on 11,031 Posts

I think the '05 Dyna is the last year of the old frame and the 5 speed. Someone at a higher pay grade might correct me.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my '04 FXDL better than the '05 XL1200R I used to ride, although the XL was faster in the mountains where I do a lot of my riding. I had to change suspension on both bikes as stock sucked and had same quick detach windshield on each. Riding position is slightly different as you sit IN a Dyna whereas you sit ON a Sportster. That could be because the Dyna is/was a Low Rider before I put longer shocks on it. Looks like you have your Sporty setup for touring so the Dyna may fit your riding better once you set it up likewise. I feel the Dyna is more relaxing since the motor is more torquey at lower rpm. However, as you stated, not huge differences.

How do you like that batwing fairing?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2005 Dyna Lowrider. As stated above, the 2005 is the last year for the 5 speed and the 88" engine. Some 2005 Dynas came with fuel injection and some came with a carb.

I have had no issues with my bike at all. With just a better exhaust and air cleaner, and the factory download, my bike made 70hp/75tq. The platform is capable of much more if you want to spend a little coin (as in my signature).

The seat and bars are easy fixes.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Loved my '04 FXDI Dyna. Love my bagger as well. I would have kept it, but no room for two bikes. $8200 is a bit over what this is worth. I would offer $7500 and see where it takes you.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a nice dyna, but it's overpriced. I've seen really clean very low mileage '05 & '06 Dynas around here sell between $6k & $7k. Paying any more than 7 is too much IMO, but you're in Cali so I'm sure the market out there is different.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
wdonley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9
I like my '04 FXDL better than the '05 XL1200R I used to ride, although the XL was faster in the mountains where I do a lot of my riding. I had to change suspension on both bikes as stock sucked and had same quick detach windshield on each. Riding position is slightly different as you sit IN a Dyna whereas you sit ON a Sportster. That could be because the Dyna is/was a Low Rider before I put longer shocks on it. Looks like you have your Sporty setup for touring so the Dyna may fit your riding better once you set it up likewise. I feel the Dyna is more relaxing since the motor is more torquey at lower rpm. However, as you stated, not huge differences.

How do you like that batwing fairing?
Thanks. Helps to hear from someone who's owned both. I like the batwing. I keep taking it off, thinking I like the bare bike look. After a bit, it always goes back on. I do have a bias, tho.I have a bone spur in my neck from a C6 fracture. Hurts me a lot more to ride without wind protection.Gonna add a slightly taller, flaired screen.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 811 Posts

I've owned everything from Sportsters(3) to Tourers(also 3) and everything in between, from softails, to dynas. For me, IMHO, the Super Glide is the BEST ALL AROUND motorcycle Harley makes. Bar none. A lot of very knowledgeable people share that opinion, too.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 02-06-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I have owned a rigid mount Sporty, then went to a 2002 Dyna Super Glide, I've since upgraded the engine, exhaust, intake and suspension. Did the work to make it more comfortable with two up riding. The wife found a 2005 Lowrider many years ago and that bike retains the solo ride aspect. The difference between my two Dyna's are minimal but the frame really got chopped in 2006. The moco took out a lot of pieces to the frame to quicken the build process. The question for you is how much are you willing to spend on the Dyna to make it like your Sportster?

Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM
wdonley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The question for you is how much are you willing to spend on the Dyna to make it like your Sportster?
It's at the dealers, they've gone thru it. Flushed brakes, new tires and battery. Gonna try working a deal for me to swap out windshields and shocks. That'd leave me the seat and risers to change out. Risers are cheap, and I've got the Mustang seat to sell. That'll make it fairly reasonable. It does leave the stage one to do, but that could be done whenever. It actually runs well stock. With that few miles, it's a long way to cam tensioners. Going by tomorrow to see what their best shot's gonna be.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 Sportster vs '05 Dyna??