Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering how to buy the correct piston ring size...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wondering how to buy the correct piston ring size...

As some of you may know, I'm about to disassemble the engine. The main purpose: replace the cam tensioner shoes (I use the old spring loaded style) However, I will also take advantage of the situation and change some other things, including:
  1. piston rings
  2. lifters
  3. valve seals
  4. inner cam bearings
  5. primary chain tensioner shoe

However, I'm not sure how to buy the correct piston ring size. My engine is a stock 88ci, no oversize, no nothing. The listings I see on eBay say ''oversize'' or ''replacement rings for X brand pistons'' all I want is stock piston ring set.

Any pointers on how to buy the correct piston ring size off a website would be appreciated (I live overseas and the local dealer won't work with imported bikes like mine) so it's all DIY work...thanks!

Old 02-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Black Bart
Road Master

Do you happen to have a parts manual for your bike? I'd look in it for an HD part number. Sometimes you can even find the dimensions listed.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

FYI replace cams, tensioner and inner bearings do not require cylinder head removal.
Why don't you punch it out to 95? You have the cylinders out anyways, just my thought.
For parts go to Ronnie's http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

Last edited by 128auto; 02-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Yeah I question the piston ring replacement also. Unless it's showing blow by or oil consumption, the rings should last. (I'm still on my original pistons and rings at 140,000 miles on the bike and it still doesn't use oil between services.)

Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

That's truly amazing! If the rings break in well, they last forever. If it aint broke, please don't break it!

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I'm still on my original pistons and rings at 140,000 miles on the bike and it still doesn't use oil between services.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
That's truly amazing! If the rings break in well, they last forever. If it aint broke, please don't break it!
Well thank you. Between 100,000 ans 120,000 I replaced lots of "wear" items, from relays to fuel pumps and lines, rocker arms and shafts, the spring cap on the compensator, etc.

But since installing gear drive cams in 2011 at 81,000 miles, I haven't touched the heart of the motor since. Just services every 5,000 miles.

Attached Thumbnails Wondering how to buy the correct piston ring size...-speedo.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

FYI replace cams, tensioner and inner bearings do not require cylinder head removal.
Why don't you punch it out to 95? You have the cylinders out anyways, just my thought
I'd love to, and it's not that expensive (around $1,000) but right now I'm finishing college, my money is going towards graduation projects and whatnot. Maybe in a year or two.

Yeah I question the piston ring replacement also. Unless it's showing blow by or oil consumption, the rings should last. (I'm still on my original pistons and rings at 140,000 miles on the bike and it still doesn't use oil between services.) Yesterday 05:25 PM
What is "blow by"? And sadly, I do have an oil consumption problem, at least once a month I have to add a full quart of oil. I have noticed some "sweat stains" in some parts of the primary, the cam chest, and the transmission housing. Could it be that the metal is getting porous and letting oil out? I don't know much about the wear and tear of those things. There's no noticeable leaks. Maybe changing all the gaskets would help, I don't know.

Well thank you. Between 100,000 ans 120,000 I replaced lots of "wear" items, from relays to fuel pumps and lines, rocker arms and shafts, the spring cap on the compensator, etc.
Thanks for heads up, I'll probably need to do the same when I hit those mileages!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

bump...

so...any tips on buying stock piston ring size? I'm ordering the parts tomorrow and since I live overseas I'd like to order everything in one fell swoop. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

bump...

so...any tips on buying stock piston ring size? I'm ordering the parts tomorrow and since I live overseas I'd like to order everything in one fell swoop. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, Either purchase "Standard" rings from the dealership or purchase them from a reputable supplier. I say that because I got burnt once on ebay with soft rings that never sealed up. Basically the rings I purchased were swapped out for a lesser quality in the premium package.

If you do not purchase from the dealership, find somebody that has a micrometer or caliper you can borrow. Measure the piston diameter and the cylinder bore diameter. Next measure the width of each groove in the piston. Now go to Hastings website and search your bike info and find the correct cylinder diameter with matching ring thicknesses for your piston ring grooves. It is important to check the groove thickness as there are sometimes multiple options for ring thickness.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/

Ring Finder
Diametrical
Ring Thickness

Quick Reply: Wondering how to buy the correct piston ring size...