Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibra-Technics motor mount install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just installed my VT mount. I had a hell of a time working around the bike jack. The original mount was surely riding on the mounting bracket. Chaffed some paint off of the underside were it was riding. There was basically no gap at the frame attach point. Once I had the old mount out, the rear tire squared up to the fender. The rear shocks pretty much leveled things out. I checked vertical alignment and the front/rear rotors were the same. This was a good sign. It took a bit to get the block lined up and threaded. Then wrestle the assy to get the frame attach bolts lined up to thread into the block without messing up the threads. I got a short bolt at the upper thread and a long bolt at the lower.Everything is locked down and square. Just knowing the old mount was gone and I have decent alignment makes me glad I went this route.
Once I get some free time this evening, I'll go for a test ride.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate

Once out on the open road, The difference was very noticeable. It knocked all kinds of vibration out of the bike. It didn't wander around. The bike felt more precise. Lugging the motor didn't transfer much shake into the frame. And I noticed that I didn't need to ride with a "Kung Fu" grip on the bars.
One thing that kinda throws me off is when decelerating from Hwy speeds to make a turn or to come to a complete stop, so much vibration is dulled that it had a "METRIC" feel to it.
I guess I'll need to keep it on the gas to be truly happy.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:56 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
Once out on the open road, The difference was very noticeable. It knocked all kinds of vibration out of the bike. It didn't wander around. The bike felt more precise. Lugging the motor didn't transfer much shake into the frame. And I noticed that I didn't need to ride with a "Kung Fu" grip on the bars.
One thing that kinda throws me off is when decelerating from Hwy speeds to make a turn or to come to a complete stop, so much vibration is dulled that it had a "METRIC" feel to it.
I guess I'll need to keep it on the gas to be truly happy.
Glad everything worked out for you. The first time installing is a pain but it gets easier. I've had mine off 3x now and I'm a lot quicker at it. The trick is to lift/lower the engine using a scissor jack and a block of wood to line everything up. I never like having to torque that big center allen bolt though. Always makes me nervous.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate

That center bolt is a pain alright. Getting hardware to thread and avoid stripping anything out is crucial with this set up. I got a better idea of where to position the bike jack now. being able to lift/lower the engine cleanly can make it much easier.
Once it's correctly installed, you cant argue the results,.. It works!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Eblank8
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no trouble fitting the entire mount through the frame in one piece. I just rotated the bottom part 90degrees. Every bolt on my bike lined up without having to move the motor around at all. It all Went so simply.

However, when I put the plastic wire connector stay in place under the voltage regulator, it sits right on the mount on my 2015. No doubt this will rub while riding. Anyone else have this issue with the newer bikes? Perhaps this is why they never updated the site to include late model bikes.
I'll have to get creative.

Seen in the center of the OPs last pic.

Last edited by Eblank8; 07-04-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Blue Meanie
Intermediate

Yes, I didn't have a clean shot at mounting up the regulator. I just folded back the wire stay so it was above the mount. The plastic clip up top stayed snapped in place and the regulator went right on.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

If you go back a couple of pages with my 14 Low Rider I removed the plastic holder and applied a bit of heat and bent it forward enough so it would not rub on the mount. Post 317

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14518042

Old 07-04-2016, 07:19 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

The rubbing isn't an issue I've found and I've had the mount on for a while now. The cover does touch the mount.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I was referring to Eblank8 above. He was having issues with his.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Eblank8
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Blue Meanie and Super08, I ended up taking the holder off completely and used a couple zip ties and high temp foil tape to protect the connectors. Looks much cleaner now.

This mount is awesome. Took it out for a ride down PCH for the 4th and the front no longer feels like I am on the verge of a flat tire. So much tighter feeling on low speed turns, and more stable at high speeds. I hope it lasts.

My original mount seemed to be in good condition with 6K miles. I can't even imagine how drastic of a change it would be if the original mount was shot. I would not hesitate to buy this again.

I do not have many tips on installation to share since it went smooth (other than the wire connector holder). Every bolt lined up first time. I was able to move my motorcycle jack back enough to give room for a floor jack to get in there and support the motor at the same time. Positioning the jacks took more time than swapping the actual mount. I would recommend using a 3/8" drive torque wrench since I had trouble with space when I tried to use a 1/2" drive the first time.

Quick Reply: Vibra-Technics motor mount install