Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what if the frame is a little bent.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So what if the frame is a little bent.

I really have a giant boner over a 2007 Dyna FXDL lowrider with a salvage title. Now the salvage title doesn't bother me. I know the paperwork involved and the expected 50% hit to regular resale value. I can have this thing like new for $3,500 or less.

Great, original condition but the front fork tubes are buckled from a front end hit. Comes with new in box HD 49mm x 26" tubes. This and a touch of light rash here and there should make it an easy fix.

Upon inspection, I find the left down tube (by the clutch cable) has been pushed in maybe an inch. Obviously this was pushed in by the front wheel upon impact.

I usually consider any frame damage to be a parts bike but this down tube is an easy pull. Fortunately, my step-son is a body man and he said it was butter and he can pull it with about an hour on the frame rack. If I didn't have a 'family' frame rack, I would walk this project.

So... what is anyone's opinion of rebuilding salavge. Is this one a candidate or walk it. What is your criteria on what constitutes a builder or a parts bike?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Normally I would say buy a new frame however, you make it sound like a small slight bend. The Dyna is rubber mounted so vehicle alignment is possible.

If it is a slight bend like you say, put it on the rack pull the frame, mount the new forks then try to align it. If you can get the alignment right it should be OK

Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,031 Likes on 11,054 Posts

For $3500, I'd ride be a bike that might end up a half bubble off. Just a unique characteristic.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Highlux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My life is worth more than fixing a bent frame. When metal stretches, it fatigues.
If there any kink to it at all? How can we be sure welds are not compromised now?

No room for forgiveness on the highway in my book. Skidding along the highway and possibly getting run over by cars would suck.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't try to fix it.
I'd try to snag it cheaper, and build a bobber personally...

Chase

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

I've straightened frames on many car's/trucks, a few 4-wheelers and a couple bikes, from the description I would without hesitation fix it for myself or even a buddy, but not for anyone else. Too many liabilty issues. Of course without seeing it I couldn't say for sure I would fix it at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 PM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like youre pretty confident about it. I'd say go for it! People would be amazed if they knew what good tools and skilled labor is capable of. Post some pics.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ride it!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find someone who has repaired Harley frames, I bought a 1980 FXEF back in the 90's that had a bent frame, I found an old fellow in Fairborn, O, he told me to strip the bike and leave the motor in and he would take a look at it.
When we got there and had the bike unloaded he drew a chalk line on the floor and had us line up the rear tire on the line and the front fork cup, he walked around it and said he could fix it for $200 and call him in 3 days.
He called me the next day and said the frame was done, when we got there he showed me exactly where he had done the repairs, he had cut the frame, bent the tubes that needed it and sleeved the frame where he had cut it.
He also told me all he had done was tack weld where the sleeves were and to get a welder that knew what the hell he was doing and to not overheat the frame when he welded the repairs.
Well when I got the bike all back together the first thing I did was find the curvy roads and rode the hell out of it to see how it tracked, it tracked true I was impressed.
I still remember the fellow's name it was Puterbaugh, I'm sure he is long gone because he was old when he did my repairs, I hope he passed on his knowledge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what if the frame is a little bent.